Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is one conclusion Ive come to. As a Ford guy but not necessarily a prejudice one as I just love horsepower...

In SHOWROOM condition, HP to HP, Motors to Motors, Chevy seems to out power and alot of times out perform Ford over the years in the trucks and camaro/mustang battles(except '11).

BUUUTTTTT the Ford/Mustang has always held more potential as far as price to modify, the way they take to the mods better, and being lighter usually out perform the chevy's with a few bolt ons with less displacement. Thats why it seems to me that there is a greater knowledge base and number of faster fords/mustangs out there than you see camaros. At least speaking from the mid 80's on terms.

NOT BASHING CHEVY AT ALL, I OWN ONE. Just speaking what Ive seen to notice. Ford less performer on show room but much cheaper and easier to get MORE PERFORMANCE with modifications.

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
As a flat rate mechanic I always stayed clear of Ford. (Mechanical nightmares) IMO and figured there was no money to be made.

My last build is a Ford and it's been fighting me all the way with 1/2 year production, too many varations to what fits what engine and so on.

This is not a bash on FMC but it proved to be one tuff cookie plus a learning experience on the stark difference between the big three,,,TLW.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Mod for mod you can't beat the LS engines. Where else can you take a stock motor and throw headers and a cam in it and get around 400rwhp?

·
King of all Assclowns
11,285 Posts
I like both of em, these days i will take anything that is made in America. IMO N/A and with spray GM can make more power MUCH cheaper than Ford can, whereas it seems a boosted Ford motor can outrun a boosted GM.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Mod for mod you can't beat the LS engines. Where else can you take a stock motor and throw headers and a cam in it and get around 400rwhp?

The new 5.0??? haha

Just screwin with ya', I'm currently looking to do a built LS motor in my 04 single cab.

·
Registered
190 Posts
As a flat rate mechanic I always stayed clear of Ford. (Mechanical nightmares) IMO and figured there was no money to be made.

My last build is a Ford and it's been fighting me all the way with 1/2 year production, too many varations to what fits what engine and so on.

This is not a bash on FMC but it proved to be one tuff cookie plus a learning experience on the stark difference between the big three,,,TLW.
Are you a flat rate MECHANIC in a dealer or independent???
I have worked at both Ford, Chrysler(presently), and Chebby( same dealer as now). And some imports. Im an advisor, not a tech, so bash away. I have learned lots of common and not common problems. Ford is far from mechanical nightmares! Chevy has some crazy and early unexpected...issues, so does does ford. Chevy seems to have waay more warranty and dumb problems. Takes less to figure out whats wrong with Fords ive seen, maybe my Ford techs were better i dunno? But i do know if u want a problem free chrysler, get an older Jeep..the rest is junk.

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
I have worked at both Ford, Chrysler(presently), and Chebby( same dealer as now). And some imports. Im an advisor, not a tech, so bash away. I have learned lots of common and not common problems. Ford is far from mechanical nightmares! Chevy has some crazy and early unexpected...issues, so does does ford. Chevy seems to have waay more warranty and dumb problems. Takes less to figure out whats wrong with Fords ive seen, maybe my Ford techs were better i dunno? But i do know if u want a problem free chrysler, get an older Jeep..the rest is junk.
Sorry I should have said (was) a flat rate mechanic back in the 70's & 80's.

Highest paid wrench in Dutchess county at the time so was more than able just chose to follow the $$$ at Gm and Mopar.

Again, not bashing Ford by any means just making a point,,,TLW.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Ford guy here that use to be a chevy guy. I must say Ford's seem to be easier to work on then the GMs but then the went to over head game and gm went to ls what? So I'm still pushrod material here...

Lighting made 400 horses and you had to do what to make 400 to the wheels?

·
Registered
969 Posts
when it comes down to just throwing a cam in a motor its hard to beat an LS motor, but when its a fully built motor i see no advantage to an LS.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
i like fords even though i race a camaro...i think if you put the same parts in the ford motor as in the chevy (same parts)ford makes more horses.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So basiclly a sbf in a ford is better than a sbc in a chevy! If u go BIIIIG! Mite as well do a big chevy in a lil Ford.
All the aftk stuff is based off Ford design anywaze....Rite????????haha

·
Registered
47,795 Posts
oh , so you get paid to watch the mechanics work ?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
The fucked up ford interchangability is a pain in the ass. Chevy motors are common and easy to come buy, lots of aftermaket support. The 5.0 motor has tons of aftermarket shit available. Bolth brands have good/bad. Cube for cube I don't think it makes a difference. I think you could make more hp for less $ with a chevy IMO. When you really start getting serious about building HP, it don't make any difference what flavor it is.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts