Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Computer nerd stuff (complaints) ahead:

My opinion,
if you're STILL using Windows 7,
shut the updates off!

Computers are a hobby for me,
I've built maybe a dozen or so, have a couple my office, game room, in the garage, library etc.
Maybe half have been "upgraded" to W10, the rest still run W7 until I get around to updating the them (or not)

Microsoft said they won't update Windows 7 after January 15th when they stopped supporting it,
but there's still updates coming through anyway...

In February the Defender Antivirus update KB915597 shut off the wireless cards in all my machines.
It took a while to figure out that's what did it,

one at a time the wireless cards stopped working on all but this machine.
Last night KB915597 installed on this machine,
as soon as it re-started, no wireless (just like the rest).

^Update KB915597 is non-removable, so you have to completely disable Defender, and then wireless comes back to life. :mad:

I thought that was pretty shitty of them,
until I let Malicious Software Removal Tool KB890830 install today in the sister machine to this one....

MSRT KB890830 installed, I hit restart,
and it's bricked.

It won't even open the splash screen, or the BIOS screen unless I pop out the boot drive.

I have other HDD's backed up so it should be fixable,
but the 2 hours it took to put GTA5 on the machine today are lost forever.

There was also a great 'update' last fall where the OS now deletes all your virtual memory with every shut down,
so if the machine took 10 seconds to shut off,
now it takes 2 minutes or more.
^also non-removable update (you can reduce the size, or shut off the virtual memory to fix if you want).

So first they make the machine seem broken by taking 2-3 minutes to shut off,
then they kill the wireless,
and finally just turn it into a brick so you just buy a new one, or install Windows 10 to 'fix it'.

·
Son of Mr. David-get it ?
14,517 Posts
Yep, shut off updates on my W7 unit years ago

Company issued me a new W10 unit so I am working both

·
Q(t)=ṁCpΔT
25,947 Posts
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not to be completely one sided,
there was/is a virus that reads whatever is stored on your virtual memory (that's space on your HDD/SSD that the operating system uses like RAM),
but somehow the fix for Windows 7 was line by line deletion of the virtual memory every time you shut the machine off,
but for Windows 10 they were able to do it without effecting shut off times.

I hate shutting updates off but it doesn't seem like Microsoft is playing this straight with their "customers".

Rant over I guess :cautious:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Just turned updates off.

I'm not a fan of 10. Keeping 7 Pro as long as feasible. (the devil you know?)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I have a pretty new computer with W10. Was forced to update the other day. Restarted the computer, everything went back to as new condition. Lost the lot.

It wasn't until I restarted again that it all came back. That was a few minutes completely filled with cursing I can tell you. Nothing prompted to tell me that was going to happen or what to do. Fucking wankers.

·
Smuck
3,871 Posts
Microshaft sucks, I have been dealing with their bullshit for over 20 years.

·
Age of Acquiescence
31,081 Posts
I've been building gaming computers since 1999 when I got my A+ & MCSE, etc etc

I stopped using Microsofts Windoze after Win10 came out with all the big brother spying infiltration.
That was the last nail in the coffin for me. Full time Linux user now, and honestly Linux just works and doesn't require daily updates.

The goal for the industry is keep you on their nipple for spying and marketing.
Anything that needs to update routinely or shuts off is a plague on this industry and privacy.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
If Win7 is so horribly unsafe that MS won't even update it anymore, why charge $100+ for Win10? Price is the main reasion for not making the change. Start asking $25 and they've got a deal.

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
5,563 Posts
I’ve got 12 at work running win 7 and it’s time to update/rebuild them. I’m debating hard on what to do, stay win 7 or go to 10. Honestly if it was just me using them I’d go to Linux ( I run dual boot on my personal computers, win 10 and Ubuntu ), but hell half my staff are lucky to turn a computer on, Linux would blow their fuckin minds.

Microsoft is bad about pushing shit through that bricks computers. Luckily most of the time it’s easy to get back, but I’ll tell ya it’s frustrating when 12 computers do it all at once. Just the way it goes I guess.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If Win7 is so horribly unsafe that MS won't even update it anymore, why charge $100+ for Win10? Price is the main reasion for not making the change. Start asking $25 and they've got a deal.
If you want to update an old Windows 7 computer you can still update for free.

·
Banksters Paradise
5,512 Posts
I'm still on win7. Have a fresh win10 install on a spare laptop. I need to remove that hard drive and put all my files in it and throw it in this laptop. But i'm being slack.

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
I’ve got 12 at work running win 7 and it’s time to update/rebuild them. I’m debating hard on what to do, stay win 7 or go to 10. Honestly if it was just me using them I’d go to Linux ( I run dual boot on my personal computers, win 10 and Ubuntu ), but hell half my staff are lucky to turn a computer on, Linux would blow their fuckin minds.

Microsoft is bad about pushing shit through that bricks computers. Luckily most of the time it’s easy to get back, but I’ll tell ya it’s frustrating when 12 computers do it all at once. Just the way it goes I guess.
Turn off updates on all of those machines run one and let updates run on it, then if an update causes an issue you know which one and can keep the others running less down time the better.

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
I'm running both 7 and 10, 7 is much better just has some issues but windows 10 is no box of chocolates either, also I run an Ubuntu machine.

·
Pontiac "big block"
8,803 Posts
Windows 10 blows fat dong. It seems every week a new story comes out about bugs, glitches, viruses, and data collection that plagues 10.

I'll never use it.

·
Registered
22,256 Posts
Win10 on my personal DELL business laptop...recent update now my office HP Wide Format Primter will no longer scan documents from the control app....IT Dood was there yesterday and performed same reinstall I'd already previously w same momentary end-around scan functioning to revert back to "unable to scan at this time" msg....home office other HP All-In-One works same as always...as previous was case w work unit now inop w scan, while print still works...

Also agree on turning off updates, as I post this with an iPad running iOS 6 that remains functional BC I turned off auto updates yes ago.
At least w PC & Laptops you can uninstall / reinstall...unlike Apple products as in iPads where once upgrade unable to revert back to previous wo going 3rd party, etc.

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
5,563 Posts
Turn off updates on all of those machines run one and let updates run on it, then if an update causes an issue you know which one and can keep the others running less down time the better.
Good call. I did that once back in ‘13 and I should probably do it again. They had two updates that year that had me shut down for three days. Time just seems to slip by so fast anymore. Hell I let the hard drive on my temp server fill up with back ups not long ago, still took me 2 weeks to get around to clearing them out. Automation has been my only friend the past few years, but with any friend they can bite you in the ass so hard you’ll spend a week trying to pry their teeth out.

Win 7 has been really good the past few years, I hate to get rid of it. Win 10 has been ok except when it fucks up, it fucks up bad. I’ve only used it in a personal environment not a business environment so I’m not sure about it. I need to decide soon because I’m about to order a few grand in computer parts tonight, they don’t do much good without an OS to run them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts