Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a 87 Monte Carlo SS in Windsor and driving it back to Detroit. What am I going to run into (paperwork) at the border on the way back? Is it even worth the trouble? This is a very nice car but it's not worth a long, drawn out ordeal for a 10 grand vehicle. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated. Also, what kind of fees am I looking at? Thanks in advance.......Roger

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have imported quite a few US to Canada and it is easy, send a copy of the owners papers to the US border I am crossing 72 hrs before so they can check and see if there are liens or it is stolen, arrive at us border go in get the papers stamped and continue to the Canadian border, pay the Taxes and home free, 10 minutes at the Us Border, 30 minutes at the Canadian border. Go to the Us Customs site and it will give you all the info you require, should be almost the same

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
It's much easier to take from Canada to US I believe you just have to declare at the US border you are importing no charge for the document . To get plates you may need a letter from GM Canada that when the vehicle was built it met US safety and emisions standards $135 .
My son just took my old truck over. ---Trevor

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
It's much easier to take from Canada to US I believe you just have to declare at the US border you are importing no charge for the document . To get plates you may need a letter from GM Canada that when the vehicle was built it met US safety and emisions standards $135 .
My son just took my old truck over. ---Trevor
After 25 years old you don't need that anymore IIRC.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I did this a few months back but used a shipping company and a customs broker. I believe there was a 2.5% duty to import it as it was not originally a US vehicle and I needed a compliance letter from the manufacturer. (though it's noted above not necessary for a car of that age).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts