Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I will, most likely, be coming over to the US quite soon for a long project and it would be great if I could bring my car with me.
The car in question is an '88 T-bird with nothing really special.
It's a 302 bored to 306", custom cam, Holley SysteMAX upper & lower, Procharger D1 and a few other smaller things.
It's nothing radical. Has cats and running E85 and passed emissions in Sweden quite well. The limit was 3.5 what ever the unit is in co2 and I had 0.4 or 0.5 on crap fuel and untuned running lean on idle.

How much problem would I have to register it in California? Nothing of my stuff is tagged with any california approval sticker.
If it matters, car is sold new in Sweden, been in my possession for 8 years and has a clean record except for a theft earlier in the 90's (I have paper on that).

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I would contact someone in the state licensing department. You may find it to be too much hassle. It would have to comply with California's very strict auto rules.

·
Registered
21,565 Posts
My personal take is you are screwed. You pretty much have to have all Fed and CA required emissions equipment and pass. Some years/ models required CA special "crap." The above post...........get ahold of the CA licensing. If this car was never sold in the US you have a long road ahead.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would contact someone in the state licensing department. You may find it to be too much hassle. It would have to comply with California's very strict auto rules.
My personal take is you are screwed. You pretty much have to have all Fed and CA required emissions equipment and pass. Some years/ models required CA special "crap." The above post...........get ahold of the CA licensing. If this car was never sold in the US you have a long road ahead.
This is pretty much what I'm afraid of.

·
KING MASTER
1,901 Posts
It shouldn't be too bad I would think since it's more than 25yrs old? Im curious about this as well because I'd like to get a R32 Skyline in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
What Do I Need for an Out–of–Country Vehicle?

For an out–of–country vehicle, first contact the following agencies for customs, safety, and emissions compliance requirements:

• U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
  • U.S. Department of Transportation.
  • U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
  • California Air Resources Board.
If the vehicle is determined to be eligible for registration, documents from these agencies and normal nonresident requirements are required.

Try research on this link to the California DMV......

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm#feesdue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts