Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bro, Adam, and I are running the Import Wars Series at Greatlakes Dragaway (http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/in...age=importwars). It's a monthly race, seven total, with several bracket classes and a few heads-up classes to accommodate just about any import. There's a car show (never been to it), bikini contest (never seen 'em) and stunt bikes (don't care) but the racing is a blast and the best reason to go!

We've been in a heated contest with these guys http://beeyondeng.com/ and the battle was no different for this event. They have some pretty nice street cars and a rocket track car but are great competitors. There are other shops bringing their goods, but these are the guys we'll see every race.

Like most series races, we have three qualifying sessions in the afternoon and eliminations in the evening. In the first qualifying group, one of Beeyond's cars ran 10.60 @ low 130's and we ran a 10.58 @ 135.5. Later in t-n-t, the owner of Beeyond Engineering ran a 10.52 so we knew that if he had a good qualifier, he'd be right in there and the competiton would be close! We made an ok pass in the second session but in the third Adam made a hard launch, good shift to second then banged third when something let go! Adam pulled to the side of the track, made it to the end of the strip then I got paged to head down to the end of the track to retrieve my car. After we got back to the pits, we checked to car over in an effort to assess the problem. We eliminated the wheel bearings and axles but had an ugly gravel sound emminating from the box and determined it was third gear....or better "a lack of third gear".

We hung out in the pit resigned to the fact we were done for the day and ready to load the trailer when we learned that Adam was the top qualifier with the 10.58 pass. Bee didn't beat us and as the top qualifier we earned a bye pass in the first round (only seven cars after some serious atrition in the field). We opted to try to break the beams in order to get some more points so Adam piled in the car for a test drive around the pits while I checked for when the first round of eliminations were to run. Adam came back to tell us that we had first, second and fourth gear but third sounded like a jar full of washers. This is cool, we can at least get points in the first round. We stage up, break the beams then head back to the pits where we learn that round two puts us up against a slower car (11.8's). Can we beat this guy with three gears? We toss the idea around and decide to go for broke. If the box is going to let go, let's toss it in dramatic fashion. Side note- he knew to dive to the wall if it died so we don't ruin the track.

We get a nice burnout (no gear lube yet), line up with the honda and launch with a 1.66 60' (still go gear lube), jam second (car is still moving), skip third and go for fourth. It sounds like my grandfather driving his old truck but it builds RPM's then gets into boost (still.....no gear lube). At the end, we get the win light with a 11.32 @ 130 to a 11.87 as the honda blows his motor trying to beat the "three-gear wonder from STL"! The stands erupt because the word was passed around about our "issue". Even the import guys root against hondas.

Honestly, I can't believe the box held up. We were ready to dump the car on the trailer and give up on the eliminations but we went for it.

The three remaining cars, (us, Bee and Waldo) waited in the staging lanes for some other classes to run. We were ready to accept third since the other guys were going to run 10's and we were nowhere capable of matching them. It was fewer points than first and second place but at least it's a $75 payout. Out of nowhere, a match race between a couple of short wheel base rotaries ended when they both crashed hard and put the program on hold. As we sat there waiting for the clean-up , I started to hope they would cancel the eliminations. This would mean that the remaining cars in each class get the same points and the payout is split evenly. When the official word finally came of the cancellation, we laughed as we made $185 and kept our point lead with a broke-ass VW with three speeds (now with only fourth after the last pass)!

What a night! We broke, kept the point lead and made money. Can't wait for next month! Maybe we can show up with flat tires and win the series.

dave.....

Where we broke third:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNYFpwmIdKY

I don't claim that imports are any better or worse than domestics, I just like dragracing. I thought some of you would dig our dragracing experience from last weekend.

·
workin it
7,779 Posts
Outstanding guys...good things happen to good people, good luck next time!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was made in Westmoreland Pennsylvania by UAW workers.

I expected some of this, but I still dig dragracing! You can't break me!

·
Trolling the Trolls
16,972 Posts
I was raised on GM blood, mostly sleeper Buicks, but ANYTHING fast at the track is well respected.

Those here against Imports, wonder what some of the baddest straight frant axle cars EVER would have been IF they were not IMPORTED from England.

Lets not forget the AC Cobra, a british car with a Ford motor, still an import.

Simple at the track, run what ya brung, run it hard, make no excuses, have fun.

Oh yeah, I've also raced Honda's. My key is that unlike the ricers I used general basic V8 knowledge and applied it to a Honda. 85 whp stocker put down 118 whp in 1999 by just swapping cams and intake manifold.

Isn't that what Chevy guys used to do?

Put a warm 327 cam in a little 283 and spin it to the moon? That little 283 combo is not very different from a little SOHC Honda.

All the Honda guys want a light flywheel so their motors REV better. FUCK that! I want stored energy in a stock flywheel so I smack the slicks and launch the car hard.

Wait, weren't they doing this with the '62 348/409 Imp's?

What used to be Ford vs. Chevy is now Domestic name vs. Import name. I say NAME because my Honda chassis/motor/tranny were all made in ohio...........unlike some Mexican Ford blocks, or OMFG GM's Canada motors.

I will say this, most local idiots have no clue about getting out of the groove when trashing a tranny. Nothing like a 1200 ft oil down!

This might be a major root of the import hate........can't blame them there!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really, I didn't want to make another Import vs Domestic thread. I just had a ton of fun racing last weekend and wanted to pass along my experience.

Does anyone still like to dragrace besides me?

·
workin it
7,779 Posts
In my book, you guys are still drag racers...trying to go faster...having fun doing it. Granted, I hate most imports, but ya gotta give respect to the ones who have earned it, and it sounds to me like you guys have earned it. Good luck...

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
In my book, you guys are still drag racers...trying to go faster...having fun doing it.
x2. Great story.

It shows that you really have to stay in it to win it! Good job.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Awesome story dude :) "Never say die" is a great lesson, regardless of what you drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts