Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Professional Troublemaker
14,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This shit is a pain in the ass! Is there a website that just flat tells you "if you wanna do "X" then take the following classes in this order"?:-damnit

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
This shit is a pain in the ass! Is there a website that just flat tells you "if you wanna do "X" then take the following classes in this order"?:-damnit
If you can't figure that out, are you sure about this degree thing?

JK. I know exactly what you mean. Don't want to take the wrong courses.

·
Registered
461 Posts
pick a school. go to their website. pick a degree. go to that "school of _____" within the schools website, search for required courses.

·
14,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you want to do? Are you willing to relocate to do it? How old are you?
Engineering. I'm 30, and stuck in bum fuck N.H. with my job. I've done pretty good for myself but would like some paper to go with it and open up a some new doors. Trying to look up online colleges because I really don't want to get tied down with a college around here.

·
14,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can't figure that out, are you sure about this degree thing?

JK. I know exactly what you mean. Don't want to take the wrong courses.
LOL! I pretty much fucked off through high school so my grades were just a little better than shit (D is for Diploma) and I never took an SAT or ACT.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
On-line in a lot of cases means a waste of $$.

If you do on-line, make sure it is regionally accredited. Lots of these schools are accredited but not by the recognized authority. So, if you decided to go some place else, either transfer the credits or get an advanced degree, the courses won't be accepted.

Also, because a lot of the on-line are diploma mills, no one gives much weight to the degree.

I would check with the state colleges/universities because some of them do offer on-line. And they have advisors who tell you what you need to take and in what order.

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
LOL! I pretty much fucked off through high school so my grades were just a little better than shit (D is for Diploma) and I never took an SAT or ACT.

I did the same thing as you in high school. I had to get enough college for a teaching degree and now I'm teaching every day. Online is the way to go. Even most community colleges offer their courses online.

I do remember no one would tell me exactly what class to take. If we could run a business like that :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
On-line in a lot of cases means a waste of $$.

If you do on-line, make sure it is regionally accredited. Lots of these schools are accredited but not by the recognized authority. So, if you decided to go some place else, either transfer the credits or get an advanced degree, the courses won't be accepted.

Also, because a lot of the on-line are diploma mills, no one gives much weight to the degree.

I would check with the state colleges/universities because some of them do offer on-line. And they have advisors who tell you what you need to take and in what order.

EXCELLENT POINT! Sorry for yelling.

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Im kind of in the same boat. Got an associates and went to work in a different field. Moved and had to leave my job and couldnt find work that didnt make me want to kill myself. Im currently making a little money working at a garage and just waiting for fall to go back to school.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If you are wanting to get a BS (no, not that) then you are going to have to take a bunch of gen-ed courses. Check with a local JC and let them know your long term goals and they will be able to help get you going in the right direction. Are you wanting to do more design, quality control, or analysis work? If you are wanting to get your feet wet, I would start out with some basic design classes that teach Pro-E, catia.....etc. Brush up on your match skills as well, cause you have a BUNCH in front of you.

·
Registered
699 Posts
dont get discouraged, it will seem like a long road to get your engineering deg. it takes six years for most full time college students to get their degree. more then likley after takingg your sat/act test you will have to take intermidiate courses before you get to the ones that really count. not knowing your math skills, english, etc. you might or THEY might want you to take like beginning math etc. but, you tell them what you want to do.. if you think you can hack algebra then dive in. same with english comp etc. a lot of courses will have pre-requisits (sp?) required before you can take them.

now, if engineering is your choosen field then an associates degree can be a huge asset as far a getting a job with say the state, city, etc... i would take advantage of any internships that you can, it is a foot into the door of htat company etc.

always keep in mind to make sure whatever classes you take that they are transferable. if they are not transferable then dont bother with them unless you absolutly need to take it to help you get to the next step. for each degree there is a minimum required number of credits.

i went back in my mid 30's and finished off my degree. looking back, i wish i would of been more attenative in certain areas instead of just attending to pass the class. i did learn a lot along the way. most of the classes you will think are just bs but each one really has benifit. my deg was in business/marketing. taking classes like economics micro and macro really helps with your view on the world when it comes to things like unemployement, how much impact a stimulas into the economy really has if appropriated correctly, etc.

dont be just so focused on attaining an engineering degree. look at the myriad of things the knowledge you have could spin off into. meaning, a business degree could put you into a mangament position, sales, marketing, etc.. the doors and possibilities are wide open. that is the reason why i took business, for one i considereed my age, two i had the damndest time with calculas becuase i blew high school off too, three it was the quickest way to getting a degree too(even though i almost have an associates in eng)

so, when you look at what classes to take make sure they will apply to whatever genre you choose.. there is a dif between an AS and BS deg and the classes for each.. but most will cross over to each. that jsut in case you change your mind along the road.

you could also create your own deg with help from your counsler once you get into a university; you jut have to know what your path is when you talk to them. when taking classes, take as many as you can over the holidays and summer. the courses are short and you can pound them out; it wont be easy though as if you took two classes youll be busy ALL DAY.. 2hr school 2hr-4hr study.

seeing how your older then 24, there are grants out there that you can apply for. one thing though is you need to make your income be as low as possible to get them. do not take out any loans if possible, stay away from them that way your not indebt'd down the road. just the first year it might be a struggle trying to show low income. but after that, get the pell grant and a part time job and reduce your expenses to nothing.. this means your going to give up fun for a few years. but keep in mind, that the fun will come after you graduate. also, with the way the world is going, a degree will keep you working moreso then not.

ty
dean

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I'll sell you mine. For the cost of the books. What a waste of time.
After I graduated I worked for great people for the first seven years.
After that, I worked for a series of jackoffs that didn't have any education and resented anyone who did.
Somehow the're the ones that seem to get ahead. Don't waste your time.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Don't waste your time. You won't get a better job and you won't get better pay with what you are describing.

·
Kickin/Screamin...U Dig
12,149 Posts
In some disciplines, experience can trump a degree but this is definitely not a rule of thumb. If you are serious about getting a degree, take the advice given in previous posts here and find an accredited university or JC and see what they have to offer. Some universities and colleges offer a pre-engineering program which gives you entry-level courses in english, math and science. You will not truly get into your core discipline until your junior year most likely and then you have to make sure you credits transfer from one school to another. Also, like someone said earlier many courses require you to complete prerequisites before entering advanced classes. I know it all seems like BS but in order to complete your degree you are required to complete a certain number of college hours just to become eligible for a degree....otherwise "you are just taking classes"

·
Registered
476 Posts
None, graduated high school and went to work.12 years at the school of hard knocks. Structural Engineering.
I am a licensed structural engineer in multiple states, I'm based out of CT. Go to school and do it. There are too many structural engineers out there that have zero practical skills. You would be amazed on how many can't even build a deck by themselves, yet they will go out on the job site and read the riot act to a carpenter. An engineer that has even some practical skills is ahead of the game in my book.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts