Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my Mustang is on the brink of a safety upgrade.My local track New England Dragway just switched from IHRA to NHRA. They just invested around 6 mill on the track with many upgrades all concrete track etc....Anyway from what I understand it looks like if my car runs 9.99 or 135 I have to upgrade my 8 point cage to a 10 point. Get it certified, install a window net, get a physical be an NHRA member and I'm not sure what else... Am I missing something??? Have to get a 2011 rule book... I was thinking of this cage upgrade from Jegs It looks like it would be to NHRA specs.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/50900K/10002/-1 What do you guys think? I did some suspension upgrades and plan on getting my TKO faceplated which should get me very close to that 9.99 pass... Regardless my mph is 134.6 so I'm already there

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
The chassis cert specs for the IHRA and NHRA are identical. SFI publishes the standards so you can build accordingly. Best bet is to get the spec book for the combo you want to have and go through it. Even if you don't do the work yourself, it's a great reference to have. As far as the driver goes, if you exceed 9.99 seconds or 135 mph, you'll need to get a competition licence. There are forms on their website you can download. Basically you'll need a physical and then have to make six runs that are observed by two people that have at least the class of licence that you are going for or higher. Catch 22 to this is they also have to be licenced for the same type of car, ie. door car. A guy with a Super Comp licence for a dragster only cannot sign off on your licence if you're going for Super Gas, even though his licence is above what you're would be. He's only licenced for a dragster, not a door car. NHRA won't allow that. There's a process for sure, but the biggest thing is make sure your car is certified before you go to tech, make sure everything is according to the rule book and the track racer's handbook if they offer one (they do here at Bandimere) when you go to tech, and once you've found your observers, make the runs exactly as they tell you too. I know that tech has told me here that the observers can sign off your licence the first run if they choose too, but you still have to have the six runs to get the licence. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Go with a Wolfe, wildrides.

Get something without a halo. Get one where the bars go from the main hoop all the way fwd and down to the floor. Then weld the dash and windshield bar in.

I did a wolfe front 1/2 on mine and it worked out great. I have a SW back 1/2.

Tim

·
Small tire Pimp
4,304 Posts
I'm in the same boat

Car went 10.28 at 130 mph with the couple updates should go in the single digits

The NHRA rule book is not much help

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying to save up $$$ to have my Tremec face plated for quicker more consistent shifts so I'm gonna do that first and if I run in the single digits I'll just slow the car down a tick to keep NHRA off my back till I can save some $$$ to update my cage etc.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Don't forget, engine diaper, locking trans dipstick, Sfi crankshaft Dampener, Sfi flexplate, Sfi bellhousing, Trans blanket, SFI 3A5 Jacket, and pants. If funds are tight slow the car down a little and you'll still be legal.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't forget, engine diaper, locking trans dipstick, Sfi crankshaft Dampener, Sfi flexplate, Sfi bellhousing, Trans blanket, SFI 3A5 Jacket, and pants. If funds are tight slow the car down a little and you'll still be legal.
At what point do you need to run an engine diaper?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Diaper depends on the track. Not all require them at 10.00

The rest of the stuff can get you. About $400 in the car cert and your licence. Also full face helmet.

I have decided to take the stock seats out of mine and need new belts. Also going to get a head and neck device.

I am going to build a pan for my car vs a diaper. I have looked at a few and making one is not going to be a issue

Tim

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Some tracks its 9.99 or quicker, it needs a diaper. It may be wise to send your track tech department a e-mail or give them a call and see exactally what their policy is and what they are going to enforce.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts