Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to find the problem. But every now and then when I start it, it will fire up then die. It will do this several time's before starting and stay running. Once running it will shut down at hit and miss time's as if the key is turned off. Already replaced the ignition switch and checked all the wiring.
Could it be the Ignition Control Module and can I test it? At $80. I don't want to buy it and not be the problem.

·
Stackin' plates
13,859 Posts
That mustang is a 76?

Oh...you said truck, my bad.:p

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
That would be a Cougar, not a Mustang.

·
Stackin' plates
13,859 Posts
That would be a Cougar, not a Mustang.

I know....I say that to fuck with him;)

Very funny Slim. Get your Moped running yet?

Do you even gotta ask? Itll never run.:p

Goodluck with the pickup though, cant say I have an answer for you:smt102

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Can't seem to find the problem. But every now and then when I start it, it will fire up then die. It will do this several time's before starting and stay running. Once running it will shut down at hit and miss time's as if the key is turned off. Already replaced the ignition switch and checked all the wiring.
Could it be the Ignition Control Module and can I test it? At $80. I don't want to buy it and not be the problem.
C.m box ... or do away with it and put a msd on it.. it will wire right up to youre dizzy

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C.m box ... or do away with it and put a msd on it.. it will wire right up to youre dizzy
MSD is not in the budget right now. Will be in the next couple month, I hope. The Cougar is all MSD and love it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I used to carry a spare ignition module in the truck just for this reason. Autozone has them for $34. You will need the "blue grommet" one.

·
I have a liter of cola
7,101 Posts
After a while they do not like heat either...have you tried putting ice on it after it dies while driving? Had a 74 and always carried a spare box with me. My 77 though didn't have any issues.

If there is no moisture in the cap 1st thing in the am, and the pickup in the distributor looks good, then it would lead you back to the box. I would get my hands on a tach and dwell meter. This will allow you to test the links in the chain to nail down the issue.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
My '78 did this & I changed the original ignition box & it ran great for two months. Started doing the same thing again, though it was the cheap auto-zone box going bad so I put another one on. Still did the same thing, ended up replacing original distributor & been greatever since. This was all this spring, truck just rolled 99,000.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I replaced the distributor a few years ago when the shaft broke due to a siezed oil pump. Found a CM for it at a local Napa for $30 and have to order a Pickup for $21. One thing about a small town, I can just take the Rhino to the parts house. Off I go.

·
Registered
313 Posts
i have a 74 f100...... had this problem when i first purchased the vehicle with my dad....... we ended up relocating the stock control module to inside the firewall.... to keep heat away from it.... it did not like to get hot....... if i were you replace the pickup as well. when we had the truck in the body shop we went threw all of the ignition and replaced it all with stock parts. as a MSD was not in the budget. truck has 500 miles since rebuild and is sporting a built 429 bbf punched to 488. makes 650hp to tire and rides like a champ. painted mitsubishi sunset pearlescent and is a eye turner! hope this helps. keep a spare module with u in the truck as there easy to replace. ! if yuu need any extra parts PM me i have a garage full of parts we did not use for it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Google Duraspark to HEI conversion. In my experience, GM modules are much more reliable than the "big box"........

·
Cut me in or cut it out!
2,650 Posts
Yeah most likely the box. But like was said, check for moisture in the cap, bad rotor, all the connectors, etc. And if the dist. pick-up is original or very old I would suggest replacing it also. You know your going to keep it.
Ron

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Replaced the CM and so far no problems. Thanks for your input guy's.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Google Duraspark to HEI conversion. In my experience, GM modules are much more reliable than the "big box"........

avail for like $99. with cap n rotor
might be cheaper in the long run if n when it quits again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts