Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you?

Supposed you chose a modern drag slick? At first I thought, heck yes! I'd reveal it to M&H or Casler, sign a licensing deal for a big cut of the profits and sit back to watch the Funny Car evolution in person.

Except, thanks to you, there never was a Funny Car evolution.

Back in the early 60's, drag racers were saddled with narrow, hard, stiff-walled tires. The hallmarks of early Funny Cars (Gassers and Altereds, too), altered wheelbases, straight front axles, raised and set back engines, etc. were all developed to overcome the limitations of the tires.

By introducing modern tires years earlier, at a crucial turning point in the sport's development, there would be no need for radical designs to overcome traction issues. Stockers could concentrate on engine development to go faster and the Funny Car might never need to have existed. The 5 & 4 second barriers for dragsters would also likely have fallen years earlier.

Welcome back to the new 2017. We're heading down to Gainesville in two weeks to watch the 350mph Top Fuellers, 300mph Pro Mods and 250mph Pro stocks.

·
Super Moderator
49,565 Posts
While cool to keep reaching for the sky, I really miss 1/2 to 2/3 track tire smoke.

·
Aviation Section
24,863 Posts
Turbos! Me and Ohio George would team up with some bad ass door slammers and take over Top Fuel and we would only be on race gas! Sell the tech a little at a time to keep our advantage to other racers and it would be Hookers and Blow the rest of our lives!

(O.K., I would also need Marv Rifchin or none of this shit would ever hook! we will get him some Hookers and Blow too!)

Just sayin! Dave

·
Super Moderator
45,245 Posts
Would you?

Supposed you chose a modern drag slick? At first I thought, heck yes! I'd reveal it to M&H or Casler, sign a licensing deal for a big cut of the profits and sit back to watch the Funny Car evolution in person.

Except, thanks to you, there never was a Funny Car evolution.

Back in the early 60's, drag racers were saddled with narrow, hard, stiff-walled tires. The hallmarks of early Funny Cars (Gassers and Altereds, too), altered wheelbases, straight front axles, raised and set back engines, etc. were all developed to overcome the limitations of the tires.

By introducing modern tires years earlier, at a crucial turning point in the sport's development, there would be no need for radical designs to overcome traction issues. Stockers could concentrate on engine development to go faster and the Funny Car might never need to have existed. The 5 & 4 second barriers for dragsters would also likely have fallen years earlier.

Welcome back to the new 2017. We're heading down to Gainesville in two weeks to watch the 350mph Top Fuellers, 300mph Pro Mods and 250mph Pro stocks.
Unfortunately, with the added traction those tires would produce, and the quicker times and higher speeds that would result because of them, they would probably cause more injuries and death considering the structure and safety features of 60s cars would still be subpar to today's race cars.

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
Turbos! Me and Ohio George would team up with some bad ass door slammers and take over Top Fuel and we would only be on race gas! Sell the tech a little at a time to keep our advantage to other racers and it would be Hookers and Blow the rest of our lives!

(O.K., I would also need Marv Rifchin or none of this shit would ever hook! we will get him some Hookers and Blow too!)

Just sayin! Dave
There were guys running turbos back then. I think the problem "then" was the lack of onboard sensing and controls, EFI, etc, and the availability of low cost monitoring instruments AKA DIY dynos and so on.

I think the Motown missile was one of the first drag cars to have extensive onboard instrumentation.

I remember an old car in the seventies ran at Lions. 40's coupe, I think it was a TT Olds. VERY quiet. Used to launch almost from an idle. Ran an old hydro, with the characteristic LLLOOONNGG rpm split between what, 1-2 shift?

·
Registered
27,907 Posts
Data logging. With that bit of knowledge cars would become increasingly faster.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Video cameras, how awesome would it be to watch all the old events in HD and sound!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Safety equipment. WAY too many drivers were hurt or killed. Think of the lives that could have been saved.

·
Aviation Section
24,863 Posts
Safety equipment. WAY too many drivers were hurt or killed. Think of the lives that could have been saved.
Pete Robinson and Mike Sorokin both come to mind! R.I.P. Dave

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
was it the equipment of more of the lack of enforcement , I've seen the picture of grumpy Jenkins with a open face helmet a lap belt and a cigar in his mouth, thats not exactly the ideal way to run a car

·
Chief Curmudgeon
13,054 Posts
10,000 Plan B pills

I would give them to 10,000 specially selected women at just the right time ;)

Many problems solved

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I think some of our more modern metallurgy technology would fit in. With that everything could be improved-------safety, car building, engine building you name it. The result would be safer & faster cars sooner.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I often drink some beer and imagine how awesome it would be to transmit my entire shop and everything in the shop including the last 30 years of experience back to the sixties..

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,881 Posts
Video cameras, how awesome would it be to watch all the old events in HD and sound!
FTW!

And why are people picking things not even automotive related? We're in the nostalgia section :smt102 :confused: what does 4 slice toasters and Plan B pills have to do with gassers and hot rods?

·
Super Moderator
49,565 Posts
FTW!

And why are people picking things not even automotive related? We're in the nostalgia section :smt102 :confused: what does 4 slice toasters and Plan B pills have to do with gassers and hot rods?
Agreed

But on the other hand, the OP never did state that it should be automotive and/or drag racing related. Even though it should be self explanitory.

After all..... You wouldn't be posting about 1471's in the Turbo section or body filler in the tranny section.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts