Nope. Can't agree with this. Way too many wrong decisions made by such actions. I think justice can always have a bit of patience.
Now having said that, what we have now is fucking ridiculous. We have 1000's of murders a year yet execute a handful. When there is an execution it usually is something along the lines of some guy who killed a convenience store clerk in a robbery in 1975. WTF???!!! Be willing to bet more die on death row of old age and other issues than die from execution. Capital punishment is a serious issue not to be taken lightly so I would certainly have the most patience for such trials. But they should still be speedy First off, no trial should take more than 6 months without some serious complications. If death penalty than there should be an automatic appeal period of a month or two. If something significant hasn't been found that has a legitimate potential to over turn the results of the trial than sentence is commenced immediately. If there is something than they have another month for retrial to start. If the same outcome is reached than sentence is commenced immediately.
Now for those who are against the death penalty usually the main objection is that we will execute an innocent man. My answer is of course we will from time to time. There is no way around it. The choice cannot be between perfection or nothing.
Society pays lots of costs for the way we live and to protect it. 30,000 people die on our roadways a year so that we can enjoy the freedom of being able to travel quickly from one place to another. If we cut our speeds down to half think of the lives that would be saved! 50,000 died in Vietnam to help slow the spread of communism. 1000's on the war on terrorism. 200,000 dead in ww2. All these are innocent people who died protecting our way of life. How many innocent people would we execute in a year? Lets say we are wrong 1% of the time. How many would that be? We have some where around 17000 murders a year. Some of those involve multiple victims of the same murderer. Some are murder/suicides. Some are 2nd degree etc. My guess would be less than 2000 would be eligible for execution. 1% error rate would mean 20 wrongly convicted would be executed. That is a tragedy no doubt. That is the price but what do we get for it? How many of those executed would repeat? None. How many of that initial 2000 have murdered before? Lots of them. No doubt there would not be 2000 the next year... Put that 20 number in perspective. Still a tragedy no doubt but consider it would take us 2500 years of executions to equal the number of those killed in Vietnam protecting us from what?
As for those who are executed and then later found to have been wrongly convicted I would have no problem awarding their family the same benefits our KIA soldiers families receive.
Rehabilitation for 1st degree murderers? Not interested. Even if the success rate was 90% that still leaves 10% unrehabilitated which means they will probably kill again. So to "save" 9 murderers one would have to be willing to let yet another innocent person be killed. Nope.Actually, with the number of cameras, cellphones, etc., it would be pretty easy to separate the slamdunk's from the rest.
There are those who believe murderers can be rehabilitated, but my objection to this has always been the same. Can the murdered person continue to live his or her life as before? Since they're dead, they can't, so their murderer forfeits his/her life as well. And, when it comes to victims who are disabled, the sentence applied to the perpetrator must fit the crime. In other words, if a victim recovers, the perp gets a jail sentence for life, if the victim is disabled, death .... unless the courts want to start lopping off body parts. :smt102