Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Holley EFI Should I be running a iac throttle body or I was looking at the Holley 105 mono blade non iac and just run alpha-n idle it’s a drag race only car on methanol single turbo setup but it will be drivin to the lanes and back . What’s the better way ?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Mostly, it'll help with cold start and warmup. However, there's no performance reason not to run an IAC, if you can get a throttle body that's large enough with one or go with a remote mount IAC. My Dart project currently doesn't have one, but I am planning to add a remote mount IAC to help with cold starts.

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
I don't run any IAC on my race only car. Has never been an issue. It could be handy for higher idle staging. But if you are bumping in that isn't an issue anyhow.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I have never run one on my methanol fueled drag car. I run standard speed/density and just set idle with timing table mostly.

·
Registered
358 Posts
In reality you could put an IAC on any car if your PCM is capable . If you added a line from in front of the butterfly and another after , with the IAC in between it would work. All the IAC does is bypass the butter fly in the throttle body . My EFI experience is with Fords , others may be different . Make sure if you do it to set your manual idle speed with the IAC unplugged .

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
I have a methanol SBC and never needed anything fancy to it to idle. Just speed density and it has been fine from 90-32 f.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Canadian2.0 - This greatly depends on your goals. IMO there is no reason not to run an IAC with capable EFI on a street car. You wont need to hang the throttle plate open to get the car to idle and if you have a proper closed loop, it will always hit your target and idle rock solid. Spark and IAC duty will do what it needs to in any situation to help hit the target and not stall the engine. I have seen guys drill holes in throttle plates because that's what always worked for them and I have seen guys set a desired amount of base throttle opening because that's what worked for them. Choose what suits you the best. I like IAC when not using DBW even on racecar. I just make sure the idle control motor has secure hoses. Often weld AN fittings on them for racecars.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can do away with it for a drag only car by opening the throttle up a bit like has been said. If you idle around 1500 up it's not really going to be noticeable.

It helps a lot when trying to get a low idle rpm with changing loads like ac and alternator

1 - 10 of 10 Posts