Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
57,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was at the machine shop last week I spotted these heads. They are some sort of Ford SVO canted valve heads, maybe Yates (just a WAG)?
They have had LOTS of work on them, purportedly by Rod Robarts at Fox Lake. I would call Ron but the number I have is no longer in service. The top of the intake ports have been raised considerably, and enlarged well into the pushrod holes. Looks like an intake manifold would have some challenges too, based on how high the port is on the flange. Spring seats enlarged too.

What would be the value of these heads? Might need custom valve lengths, dont know. Automotive tire Wood Tread Tire Rim
Automotive tire Wood Font Engineering Bumper

Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas
Wood Rectangle Font Artifact Tints and shades
Automotive tire Wood Font Gas Metal
Automotive tire Grey Font Artifact Metal

·
Registered
32,723 Posts
While I was at the machine shop last week I spotted these heads. They are some sort of Ford SVO canted valve heads, maybe Yates (just a WAG)?
They have had LOTS of work on them, purportedly by Rod Robarts at Fox Lake. I would call Ron but the number I have is no longer in service. The top of the intake ports have been raised considerably, and enlarged well into the pushrod holes. Looks like an intake manifold would have some challenges too, based on how high the port is on the flange. Spring seats enlarged too.

What would be the value of these heads? Might need custom valve lengths, dont know. View attachment 287993 View attachment 287994

View attachment 287995 View attachment 287996 View attachment 287997 View attachment 287998
I ain’t even a Ford guy, but those ain’t Yates heads. In my opinion either the first, or second design SVO head From Ford factory.

·
Long Live The King
109,698 Posts
Maybe a prototype for the C302B head. Where the casting date is clear, the PN would be cast right along the valve cover rail.

I could check the casting date on my C302b's to cross reference the date.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I ain’t even a Ford guy, but those ain’t Yates heads. In my opinion either the first, or second design SVO head From Ford factory.
Nope. They are yates c3 heads Randy, not the A3, B351 or C3/C302/C302b Ford heads. These are the earlier Yates C3 heads that came after the A3-C302b heads, with lots of porting done, lol.

·
T/S 368E
35,352 Posts

WOW, a lot of work done for sure!!!
Obviously some kind of heads up class.
Reminds me of my old Pontiac Pro-Stock heads.
There was nothing available, so they spent 100's of hours making them the way they wanted them.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The Ford SVO cast on the top of the exhaust runner is a dead give away that they are NOT the A3/B3/C3 heads. The chamber and pedestals are visually different also as well as valve angles and position. My A3's have a 1985 date, my square exhaust port c302b's have an 89 date, and my round port c302b's are 1990/91 iirc. Yates came in 1991/92 with a few versions afterwards.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

WOW, a lot of work done for sure!!!
Obviously some kind of heads up class.
Reminds me of my old Pontiac Pro-Stock heads.
There was nothing available, so they spent 100's of hours making them the way they wanted them.

I have a set of the ford c3, supposedly from yates team, port floors weld up, chambers welded closed, guides welded closed, etc. And saw another set there similar but with the roof welded under the valve cover like these ones in ops pics

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

What would be the value of these heads? Might need custom valve lengths, dont know. View attachment 287993 View attachment 287994

View attachment 287995 View attachment 287996 View attachment 287997 View attachment 287998
If you are after a set of the early Yates there's a guy near me that had 2 sets for sale, no welding. One set is said to be from Ernie Elliot and other from Yates I think he said.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Pre Yates Ford A3, B351, C3/C302/C302b and factory 351c cast iron pedestals. All the same other than the c302b's have more metal between the pedestals and seats, as far as pedestal/valve layout. Yates took out the cant, rotated the valves, raised the floor, changed the chamber etc.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Registered
20,390 Posts
What’s that manifold on the bench ?
cut down and welded Weiand....1970's era prostock, the ur19 got all the ink but some did try shorter runners....then they figured out how to "bend" and weld sheet aluminum and the rest is history

·
Registered
57,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The heads are for sale, owner abandoned his project. Any idea if they are worth anything, or are they so old that valvetrain and intakes are no longer available?
Thanks to all that responded.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
The heads are for sale, owner abandoned his project. Any idea if they are worth anything, or are they so old that valvetrain and intakes are no longer available?
Thanks to all that responded.
That much welding can be iffy if not done properly. I've saw a couple intakes lately like Bills, some have the same part # as the roush intakes for the A3/C302 style heads, M-9424-A351, so be carefull. The intake for the yates c3 doesn't say Roush on it. The heads I mentioned for sale were $2000 as far as a value comparison. Dan Jones has a pile of info on the heads and intakes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts