Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a ballpark price on full length headers to be made on the vehicle?

I am trying to gather prices to convert my 1972 Nova to a LQ4 motor.

It has PS, factory AC box, and it will need room for a Zbar set up.
1 3/4 with 3 inch collectors, mild steel.

I was thinking $600-900. Does that sound close?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
$1200 to $2500

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
would guess over a grand.. lots of trial and error. then in the end they have to make them after all the cuts ect.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Last custom set of headers I had built cost $2200. 434cid sbc in a 69 mustang. Then sent them out for coating, another $400. I will say I got what I paid for cause they are bitchin!

·
Registered
390 Posts

Go to brp hot rods. They make kits to do the conversion on just about any gm car. I think their headers for yours are about 700.00.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go to brp hot rods. They make kits to do the conversion on just about any gm car. I think their headers for yours are about 700.00.

I looked at those and may eventually go that route. To use them i would need thier kit. I would rather place the engine where i want so it bolts up to my existing TH350/crossmember/driveshaft.

I also saw no information if it fits factory ac box or clears a Zbar setup for when i put a TKO in it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I looked at those and may eventually go that route. To use them i would need thier kit. I would rather place the engine where i want so it bolts up to my existing TH350/crossmember/driveshaft.

I also saw no information if it fits factory ac box or clears a Zbar setup for when i put a TKO in it.
I'm pretty sure it clears the factory ac because they build them around everything in the vehicle. You can call and they will tell you what fits. As far as the z bar setup I'm not sure. I'm sure they will though.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts

you talking about building them yourself or a shop? i charge $1000 plus materials for a custom set in mild steel.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you talking about building them yourself or a shop? i charge $1000 plus materials for a custom set in mild steel.

I was talking about a shop making them.

Thanks for the replies. It gives me an idea of what direction i will be taking.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts

Tim takash is good w/ headers. I am not sure who he is working for now. Someone @ the track should know.

Try to find a good kit to start w/. Headman makes kits

If you want the best, mark linebarrier in GA

·
Godspeed TK!
8,989 Posts
Last custom set of headers I had built cost $2200. 434cid sbc in a 69 mustang. Then sent them out for coating, another $400. I will say I got what I paid for cause they are bitchin!

You paid $2200 for mild steel headers?:confused:

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
You paid $2200 for mild steel headers?:confused:
not at all out of the realm of possibilities you can pay $600-800+ for a set of good merged collectors like from SPD and $85 each for flanges still have to add tubing at about $20 per U-bend on the low end your at about $2070 with labor. easily double that in SS

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
700.00-1000.00. I've built alot of headers and its never been over 1000.00 for mild steel with that size tube.
For labor and materials for a custom set of headers in a full bodied car? no offense, but imo either you are crazy for doing them so cheap, or those will be sub standard.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts