Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about boats except the horror stories, Break Off Another Thousand, etc.

But I'd still like to get one, to take my kids water skiing, wake boarding, tubing, etc.

I'm not into fishing.

I'm thinking a 2008-2012 Yamaha twin jet boat, 21 feet or so. Maybe an AR2010.

Main thing I want, which I guess all want in a boat, is to enjoy it and not spend time fixing it.

What's the best site to hunt boats on? How does one establish a good value? How long to the engines last? Any other things I should be looking into?

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
My dad had a yamaha, real bad on gas. Other than that, it was fine for the 3 years he owned it.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Unless you want to surf, the 19ft. Yamaha is plenty of boat for a single family, and can pull a tube or a wakeboarder just fine. The single engine 19ft Yamaha's are pretty economical to run and maintain (other than the Supercharged 195 version, which drinks gasoline but adds another 10MPH on top). Fit and finish is OK, but not incredible. Powertrain on them are pretty solid, and the engine design has been in service for a while without any major issues. Also, buying an 8-10 year old jetboat if you are anywhere near the salt is probably not a great move. Just too many unknowns for a raw water cooled engine.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
on the jet boat I don't believe there is a neutral. Anytime the engine is running the boat will be moving. I could be wrong but that would suck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Take a hard look at a tritoon. I sell boats for a living and we have a back lot of used speed / ski / jets. Other than the price, they do everything you want better than the Yamaha. ;)

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless you want to surf, the 19ft. Yamaha is plenty of boat for a single family, and can pull a tube or a wakeboarder just fine. The single engine 19ft Yamaha's are pretty economical to run and maintain (other than the Supercharged 195 version, which drinks gasoline but adds another 10MPH on top). Fit and finish is OK, but not incredible. Powertrain on them are pretty solid, and the engine design has been in service for a while without any major issues. Also, buying an 8-10 year old jetboat if you are anywhere near the salt is probably not a great move. Just too many unknowns for a raw water cooled engine.
Thanks for the heads up about salt water, I should have thought of that but didn’t.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Varies give you more space inside the cabin compared to direct drives. They also have better wakes for surfing and wake boarding. I would never own a jet as a wake type boat.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you're looking T 8-10 year old boats, look at the ski/wakeboard boats. Some are pretty versatile and have lots of room in them for family. I have a 21' Calabria Pro-V and love it. We surf, wake board, ski, and tube behind it. Plus being a little older I'm not too worried if it gets a small scratch.

But one thing for damn sure- No mustard, Doritos, or Cheetos on the boat! Those stains never come out.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
A tritoon is nothing like a pontoon when it comes to performance. They are not your grandpa's boat anymore. 50mph is achievable, great ride and lots of storage and room. We have a 2018 Bennington with a 150, 35mph and pulls skiers no prob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts