Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..... the question that remains, is "Who ?"

I am new to the Dallas/Ft Worth area. (I live in the Lake Lewisville area) and I am looking for a new mechanic to take care of my bracket car. I used to do most of my own work, but, I just can't get it done anymore due to business/social time and energy restraints.... I want to find somebody that is a good fit for me and what I have.

I am not looking for just a just an engine builder, but instead, looking for somebody who I can hand them my car and they can get done whatever needs to be done to it..... which could range from an engine freshen, to swapping cams, getting additional work done on the cylinder heads and even suspension/chassis upgrades/maintenance or maybe something as simple as swapping the starter. They would have my car a lot.... I always have something I want done to it related to an upgrade and/or maintenance.

I am not interested in a general auto mechanic facility, instead looking for somebody that understands valvetrains of bracket/race cars, dart little M blocks, cylinder heads, etc.... the last mechanic I had, I had to explain to him the nuances of 60/40 valve spacing and geometry. I'm looking for a mechanic who will instead set me straight on issues like this, versus me having to explain what something is. Which shouldn't be hard considering I am just a hobby racer, not a professional engine guru.

I'm a no-drama guy and I don't complain about paying shop rates for quality work. My car is just an 85 Corvette with a gen 1 SBC (436 sbc efi motor)..... nothing abnormal about it.

Thus, leads to the question..... any recommendations for this part of the world for what I am looking for ?

Thank you in advance for any advise. :cool:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
..... the question that remains, is "Who ?"

I am new to the Dallas/Ft Worth area. (I live in the Lake Lewisville area) and I am looking for a new mechanic to take care of my bracket car. I used to do most of my own work, but, I just can't get it done anymore due to business/social time and energy restraints.... I want to find somebody that is a good fit for me and what I have.

I am not looking for just a just an engine builder, but instead, looking for somebody who I can hand them my car and they can get done whatever needs to be done to it..... which could range from an engine freshen, to swapping cams, getting additional work done on the cylinder heads and even suspension/chassis upgrades/maintenance or maybe something as simple as swapping the starter. They would have my car a lot.... I always have something I want done to it related to an upgrade and/or maintenance.

I am not interested in a general auto mechanic facility, instead looking for somebody that understands valvetrains of bracket/race cars, dart little M blocks, cylinder heads, etc.... the last mechanic I had, I had to explain to him the nuances of 60/40 valve spacing and geometry. I'm looking for a mechanic who will instead set me straight on issues like this, versus me having to explain what something is. Which shouldn't be hard considering I am just a hobby racer, not a professional engine guru.

I'm a no-drama guy and I don't complain about paying shop rates for quality work. My car is just an 85 Corvette with a gen 1 SBC (436 sbc efi motor)..... nothing abnormal about it.

Thus, leads to the question..... any recommendations for this part of the world for what I am looking for ?

Thank you in advance for any advise. :cool:
bring that car about 4 hours south and ill take care of it for ya

·
Just a Mean Ol' Phucker
21,399 Posts
Call Kelly @ Performance Automotive in Mesquite.
Kelly is a good choice,he runs a badass little 5 second Luv truck.

You might try Billy McSwain at McSwain's Automotive in Rockwall.
I've used Billy on stuff I didn't want to do or didn't have time to do. He's a racer and so is Brian, his son.
Billy runs a 5.80 car and Brian runs a 6.90 street car. They use Kim Barr Racing Engines for their heavy race engine builds, same as I do.

·
God's servant Romans 13:4
6,798 Posts
Get in touch with Frank Kohutek. He is the director of IHRA div 4, past world champ, and professional poker player.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the advise. I will contact them all..... need work done to the car and I've got zero time to accomplish myself.

Thanks. :cool:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Larry Myer in Lewisville, a lifelong pro who can handle anything from a bracket car tuneup to a top fuel car build. Full time, seasoned pro, who makes his living out of his shop everyday. No one finer, nor with more experience. I barely know him, but I have known about him for over 30 years. He has made a lot of cars fast, and a lot more of them safe.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What exactly needs done....that might help in your search also.....
I am having things constantly done to it for one reason or another.... right now on the short list:

- Conversion to an aftermarket efi management system
- Cam Swap
- Meziere electric water pump install and thus fabrication of some sort of serpentine belt bracketry to make work. (Not easy on a C4 vette)
- Fabrication from scratch of a Solid rear (IRS is on borrowed time)
- New brake system, that I already own, just need put on the car

and much more, always something either little or big I want done. I'll do some of it myself, but I simply do not have the time/energy to do it all myself anymore, thus, it never gets done and the car ends up sitting in the garage when I should be racing it. I'm getting old.....:(

I'm looking for somebody to help me out for years...... every season, its something new that either needs to be repaired or I get a hair up my ass and decide to upgrade/improve. Racers always need work done, even your A-typical bracket car.

Thank you all for the suggestions.... thanks to this board, I think I have found somebody. :cool:

·
Just a Mean Ol' Phucker
21,399 Posts
I am having things constantly done to it for one reason or another.... right now on the short list:

- Conversion to an aftermarket efi management system
- Cam Swap
- Meziere electric water pump install and thus fabrication of some sort of serpentine belt bracketry to make work. (Not easy on a C4 vette)
- Fabrication from scratch of a Solid rear (IRS is on borrowed time)
- New brake system, that I already own, just need put on the car

and much more, always something either little or big I want done. I'll do some of it myself, but I simply do not have the time/energy to do it all myself anymore, thus, it never gets done and the car ends up sitting in the garage when I should be racing it. I'm getting old.....:(

I'm looking for somebody to help me out for years...... every season, its something new that either needs to be repaired or I get a hair up my ass and decide to upgrade/improve. Racers always need work done, even your A-typical bracket car.

Thank you all for the suggestions.... thanks to this board, I think I have found somebody. :cool:
Don't hold out.....who is it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Call Greg Longoria from Longoria Racecars, just a 3.5hr south of you. You wont be disapointed. 830-491-4938

1 - 14 of 14 Posts