1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
51,357 Posts
That really sucks but when I go to the track it really makes me wonder how the regulars contiue to race in this economy. Good luck on the sale.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hate to see that. Hope that things turn around for you and you don't have to sell.
Thanks man, but the outlook for jobs in my field (cnc machinist/programmer) around here is bad!! The current Democratic administration isnt going to allow the nessesary spending on Military/Aerospace R&D for things to pick up anytime soon. Ive had 2 job offers in the last 4 months, both were $15 to $17 an hour less than I was making and wouldnt pay my bills unless I worked 60 hours a week. Ive got 22 years experience and I just cant see taking a job for what I started at 15 years ago. Ill go back to school before that happens.

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
I would have taken the job just to get some income. Then cut back on expenses and keep your car.

Then keep looking for a better paying job.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sorry to here you have to sell..What does it run in the 1/4 and what does it weight...
Its been 9.40s at 143mph, but that was with the old engine/N20 combo. Its probably in the .20s or low .30s now. I will let you know after next weekends ORSCA race in Steele Al. I will get some 1/4 times during testing. It weighs 2725 with full bottle and fuel.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have taken the job just to get some income. Then cut back on expenses and keep your car.

Then keep looking for a better paying job.
We have cut back on expenses dramaticlly, but $10 an hour wouldnt cover my fuel costs and current living expenses, so I didnt take them. Overtime isnt guaranteed anywhere.

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
Thanks man, but the outlook for jobs in my field (cnc machinist/programmer) around here is bad!! The current Democratic administration isnt going to allow the nessesary spending on Military/Aerospace R&D for things to pick up anytime soon. Ive had 2 job offers in the last 4 months, both were $15 to $17 an hour less than I was making and wouldnt pay my bills unless I worked 60 hours a week. Ive got 22 years experience and I just cant see taking a job for what I started at 15 years ago. Ill go back to school before that happens.
God forbid you have to work 60 hours. You should be thankful you even got an offer!
People in this economy are going to have to get that "this job won't even pay my bills" mentality out of their head and start liquidating their unimportant assets. Take what you can get and get your ass to work for 60 hours, it may be the ONLY deal that comes your way for a while. I know, I had the same outlook when I was laid off in 2008. I sent out over 400 resumes with 4 or 5 interviews over 6 months. I wouldn't settle for
working longer for less. It cost my dearly...

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
God forbid you have to work 60 hours. You should be thankful you even got an offer!
People in this economy are going to have to get that "this job won't even pay my bills" mentality out of their head and start liquidating their unimportant assets. Take what you can get and get your ass to work for 60 hours, it may be the ONLY deal that comes your way for a while. I know, I had the same outlook when I was laid off in 2008. I sent out over 400 resumes with 4 or 5 interviews over 6 months. I wouldn't settle for
working longer for less. It cost my dearly...
There was no overtime offered for either job! $400 minus taxes and $100 a week fuel cost to where the job was is less than my unemployment. I worked 2500 to 3000 hours a year for the last 5 years, I aint scared to work, but I aint gonna take a job that I end up with less, would you????????????

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
You are gonna regret selling the Sunbird. Hang onto that car,,find something to do.

I had to climb off of the "this wage does not meet my requirements" idea, and look for a job with alot less pay than I was making before. It really sucked,,but so did the top ramen and beans I was eating.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,582 Posts
smith an wesson is hiring up here..i think they are starting at 75k

shit theres a ton of cnc jobs up here..i wish my dad would of tought me it before he had his stroke.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are gonna regret selling the Sunbird. Hang onto that car,,find something to do.

I had to climb off of the "this wage does not meet my requirements" idea, and look for a job with alot less pay than I was making before. It really sucked,,but so did the top ramen and beans I was eating.
Yeah we are lucky not to have a mortgage or car payments or we would really be screwed. Our living expenses, insurance etc.. is all we have to come up with. If a job comes along thats not an hour commute at around that pay I would accept it, but I have to consider fuel costs when accepting such a low wage or we will end up with less money than what I draw in unemployment. Ive got resumes all over the south and other areas to thanks to some Bullet members and Monty, but NOBODYS hiring now, the ones who are want all your experience without any reasonable pay.

·
Registered
981 Posts
15-17 is what the normal small shops pay in this area for CNC work.
I'm guessing you were a union guy for a long time?
Ton of jobs here also going to Mexico for 3 hot meals with one or two meals including meat. Good luck with the job search not many of the 40 an hour jobs left in America.:(

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
smith an wesson is hiring up here..i think they are starting at 75k

shit theres a ton of cnc jobs up here..i wish my dad would of tought me it before he had his stroke.
I know a guy who lives up that way. The difference in the cost of living here and there is ASTOUNDING!

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
15-17 is what the normal small shops pay in this area for CNC work.
I'm guessing you were a union guy for a long time?
Ton of jobs here also going to Mexico for 3 hot meals with one or two meals including meat. Good luck with the job search not many of the 40 an hour jobs left in America.:(
Here they started at $15 and went into the $30 an hour range. But that was pre Obama. Now you cant squeeze an inteview out of them much less competitive pay. I was the CNC Programmer, Machine setup, QC Manager at an Engineering firm is why my scale was so High, but it was small and not diversified enough to withstand the loss of so much work.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,582 Posts
I know a guy who lives up that way. The difference in the cost of living here and there is ASTOUNDING!
i moved from florida a yr ago..the diff in cost of living is not huge..we do have to pay extra taxes but other then that..houses go for the same,apt go for the same and water,cable,electric is all about the same..

1 - 20 of 160 Posts