Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to change tires and would like to know what you guys think . My race weight is 4450lbs . TH400 , 3.73 gear , 6700rpm , 141mph

Tire I’m using now is a MT 3068W . The widest section I can fit is 14.5

Specs : ............tread .....Dia......rollout......section.....compound... weight

M/T
3068W ........10.8............31.3........ 99........... 14.5............. M5............. 33

$ 275

These are the three I’m looking at . I’m thinking the Goodyear is made for a heavy car so I’m leaning that way . But the Hoosier is taller . What do you guys think ? The price also makes me want to stray from the 3068W I’m using now .

Specs : .......tread.........Dia.......rollout.......section.....compound....... weight

M/T
3064..............11.1....... 29.9........... 94............13.6............. M5............... 29

$ 225

Hoosier
18192.............11.1........30.6............96.............13.2............. D6.................26

$ 200

Goodyear
2016...............11.5.........29.9............94.............13.8............. D5...............29

$ 230

·
Registered
24,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
come on guys . Which brand would you buy for something heavy ? Should I stick with something closer to the original rollout of 99 like the Hoosier ?

Are all slicks created equal ?

How much does running tubes help the sidewall stiffness ?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
You are motivating pretty darn good for being a boat anchor... damn! Impressive.

I'm no tire expert but I'd say go with a stiff sidewall and use tubes with that kind of weight and power. I just went back to tubes in my 29.5 10.5w's and feel much more confident on launch, let alone no more air leaks... that shit drove me nuts. The tubes do help with sidewall stability, no doubt. I'm sure Jason will jump on at some point and give you MT's suggestion.

Not sure where you are getting pricing... but give McCormack Racing a call. They are hard to beat. I see $274 per tire, and they've always covered shipping when I order from them.
http://www.mccormackracing.com/cgi-...lay=etdrag&method=exact&order_by=ID&order=123

Cheers.

·
Registered
24,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks . And thanks for the reply . All the prices are from Summit . I was surprised at the Goodyear price being that low also . Most everywhere else they are $ 275 . Goodyear tells me that their tire will be stiffer and the compound is harder for the heavy car .

The Hoosier is closer to the rollout I'm using now , and the price cant be beat . But ........ I'm not sure about the compound .

I would also like to know the tread depth on the M/Ts and Hoosiers . Goodyear says 5/32 , and I saw a brand new set on a car last week and the holes looked pretty deep , maybe deeper than M/Ts .

I'm thinking the GYs might be better for the weight I'm at .

Anyone run the GYs with the D5 compound ?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
For your application, yes a stiff sidewall and tubes will help. If you are looking at a smaller size, I would go with the M/T # 3062W and tubes. The 3062W is similiar to the 3064, but it has a stiff sidewall. The tread depth on these tires is .200", which is close to 6.5/32nds.

All that being said, I'm still trying to understand why you are going to the smaller tire. Is it primarily the cost????

Thanks,

Jason Moulton

·
Registered
24,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All that being said, I'm still trying to understand why you are going to the smaller tire. Is it primarily the cost????

Thanks,

Jason Moulton

Thanks Jason . Well cost dosent hurt , thats for sure. But I thought the 3068W was a soft tire . I have it on a 10" rim . And the section width was right on the edge and was rubbing my air bags slightly . I think its only when turning or slowing the truck . But its still a slight concern . I figured I could get close to the same 31.3" dia and less section width but gain tread width making the tire stiffer . I also have quite a bit of converter slippage so maybe what I lose in tire rollout it might gain with less slippage .

The Hoosier has a 96 rollout and a 11.1 tread . Seems like it would be comparable or closest to the 99 rollout and the 10.8 tread of the M/T 3068W .

I hate to ask a M/T rep about other brands , but I'm really wanting to stay as close as I can to the tire I have now in hight but try to find something stiffer .

Could running tubes help the tire rub on the 3068W ?

Are you familiar with the other 2 compounds ? D5 and D6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts