Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, i hooked this up in my dads car and it has no spark. so there are 2 wires that plug into the distributor cap(where the coil is) and there are 2 wires that hook to the pig tail on the module. i unhooked all 4 wires and plugged the pigtail from the module back into the cap(where the coil is) i tried starting the car then and it started.when the 4 wires from the box are hooked up there is power going into the distributor through the module pigtail but there is no spark and i checked it with a light so im sure there is power. so if it has power going into the distributor what could it be. also the box is all lit up and working. is the box not compatable with a gm delco distributor or something. the module and the coil are both flamethrower units. any help would be good.

Cody

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
i think there is a orange wire that is looped on the box that needs to be cut for certain applications. dont hold me to this tho

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its weird because originally there is a hot wire from the ignition in the harness on the car the goes to the coil, but the 2 wires from the box that plug into the coil arent hot. its wired the way the directions show though :confused:

·
Registered
32,422 Posts
The connection to the coil in the cap has three wires. The center wire is the ground for the coil secondary voltage. The center terminal in the cap must be grounded to the engine.

In the original HEI three-wire connector from the module to the coil, the center (black) wire grounds the coil to the screw that attaches the module harness to the distributor body.

The wires from the box to the coil (orange + and black – with MSD system, not sure on Mallory but your instructions have that info) are connected to the + (BATT) and – (TACH).

The center terminal in the cap must be grounded to the engine.

All the terminals must use insulated connectors because the ignition pulse from the box is high enough voltage to jump between them if they are not insulated. The probable reason you didn’t have spark is it was shorting between the terminals where the wires plug into the cap because the coil wasn’t grounded.

Don’t try to measure voltage on the wires from any CD box to the coil. The voltage pulse when the ignition fires will damage your voltmeter.

How are you triggering the CD box, the tan wire from the HEI module?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeti, there's orange black and brown coming from the module the brown goes to the (c-) terminal the black goes to the (ground) and the orange goes to the (b+) terminal. so im using the orange to trigger the box. but i did ground the center terminal to the fire wall of the car. in the instructions it says to leave the tach plug connected to the (TACH) terminal. but where the hot wire came from the ignition switch use to plug into to (BATT) terminal nothing goes there. it gets tied into the red wire from the box and plugged into the orange wire from the module. heres a link to the the instructions. im using figure 4 on page 4.http://www.prestoliteperformance.co...ory_Instructions_hyfire_6_series_685_6851.pdf

·
Registered
32,422 Posts
The “Orange” (actually probably faded pink or red) wire that originally went to coil + terminal connects to the small red wire in the Mallory harness and they both connect to the switched 12V power that turns on the system (ignition switch). That “orange” wire carries 12V to the module in the HEI to power it.

Brown wire from HEI module (originally went to the – coil terminal) connects to green (trigger) to CD box.

Connect the center coil terminal (originally connected to the HEI black wire) to the engine. That is the ground for the high-voltage to the spark plugs so ground it to the engine.

Do not connect the tachometer to the coil. Connect the tachometer to the “Tach” terminal on the CD box.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i switched it from being grounded to the firewall to being grounded to the engine and i am still getting no spark. can it be anything else?

·
Registered
32,422 Posts
Do you have the orange and brown wires connected like this?:smt102
The “Orange” (actually probably faded pink or red) wire that originally went to coil + terminal connects to the small red wire in the Mallory harness and they both connect to the switched 12V power that turns on the system (ignition switch). That “orange” wire carries 12V to the module in the HEI to power it.

Brown wire from HEI module (originally went to the – coil terminal) connects to green (trigger) to CD box.

Connect the center coil terminal (originally connected to the HEI black wire) to the engine. That is the ground for the high-voltage to the spark plugs so ground it to the engine.

Do not connect the tachometer to the coil. Connect the tachometer to the “Tach” terminal on the CD box.
The (small) black and yellow wires from the Mallory box are the only wires to be connected to the coil. No other wires go to the coil.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the orange and brown are hooked like that. the yellow and black are to the coil but i also have the ground wire from the (ground) terminal on the coil. i have the yellow going to (b+) and the black is to (c-) so i actually have 3 wires from the coil counting the ground wire.

·
Registered
32,422 Posts
Unless some other wiring problem is in play here, it sounds like the box is dead.

Is there 12V to the orange HEI wire and small red Mallory wire?

Follow the Mallory instructions to test the box.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Sorry to break in, But Yeti if you can either clear your PM's or send me one with any e-mail you like, I have something very interesting I found I believe you may be interested in or have some insight on that I am not interested in posting on an open forum at the moment. PLEASE!!!! Make a up a junk e-mail somewhere if you wish to remain anonymous.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts