Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
i doubt theyll lower it that much. they have lowerd it from 11.99 to 11.49 already of im not mistaken

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cage requirements as in Cage not Roll bar right now a 6 pt roll bar (Full Frame Car) or 8 Point Roll Bar (UNIBODY Car) is 10.00

·
Registered
238 Posts
make them kick you out first scott!!! then bar it

I have told them my car runs low 12's for years and I have several 12 sec passes to prove it.

just kidding, that guy with the nova would hook a brother up

·
aka Nova Joe
2,888 Posts
I'm not understanding what you're trying to say...Are you saying that you will need no bar or anything at all until you go 10.50&quicker? Or are you saying that instead of 9.99&quicker for a FULL cage they are going to make that rule 10.50?

Either way...Don't see it happening.

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay this is what I heard .........

NHRA wants to back -up to 10.50 for roll cages meaning that if you junk goes 10.49 it better have a Sportsman Cage 8.50 Cert

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
make them kick you out first scott!!! then bar it

I have told them my car runs low 12's for years and I have several 12 sec passes to prove it.

just kidding, that guy with the nova would hook a brother up
Oh I am in Line At the Chassis Shop for a Bar for now but don't want to regret not getting a Cage . the car will never go faster than 10.00 but I like to race on Sunday's (bracket) so I need all of the corrisponding Safety equipment, at this rate it won't matter tho The engine needs to come out and I have no income to fix it hell I can barely afford to fix dinner! :cool:

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Here's my friends low 10 sec Nova, with a roll bar and no pillar bars or windshield bar, after he crashed. The guy in the other lane crossed over and hit him from behind going thru the traps. He was trapped inside the car which was upside down while they tried to free his broken and mangled legs from the dash which was crushed down. Add the darn pillar bars so this can't happen to you. Just saying

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I look at a GOOD cage like this.....It's the most exspensive thing on your car that you hope you will NEVER have to use....:eek:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here's my friends low 10 sec Nova, with a roll bar and no pillar bars or windshield bar, after he crashed. The guy in the other lane crossed over and hit him from behind going thru the traps. He was trapped inside the car which was upside down while they tried to free his broken and mangled legs from the dash which was crushed down. Add the darn pillar bars so this can't happen to you. Just saying

I can't argue for safty reasons every RACEcar should have a 25.5 cert But some of our cars are not all out race cars and cages on the street are just as unsafe ever bounce your head on a bar with no helmet even with padding a side collision on the street could cause big head injury

·
Registered
277 Posts
A cage is one place you can not over build. Funny thing is I see people not bad an eye when it comes to high dollar rods or high end suspension parts but they bitch about the price and try to cut corners on cages and safety equipment. I just don't get it. IMHO, given what a cage does to help a car go fast and protect the driver, it's the best bang for the buck. My 10sec bracket car that is under construction is sporting a full 12point cage.

·
Registered
305 Posts
A cage is one place you can not over build. Funny thing is I see people not bad an eye when it comes to high dollar rods or high end suspension parts but they bitch about the price and try to cut corners on cages and safety equipment. I just don't get it. IMHO, given what a cage does to help a car go fast and protect the driver, it's the best bang for the buck. My 10sec bracket car that is under construction is sporting a full 12point cage.
Sounds like excellent words of wisdom!

Those that want to skimp or eliminate required safety equipment such as cages probably have nothing to protect. :smt082

Carl

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts

some words of wisdom from the prophet.....;) it amazes me how guy's place priorities in race car construction the average guy seems to place them in this order atleast in my experiance.

1.....looks
2.....performance

3......safety

1 and 2 can flip flop from person to person but 3 is almost always the same.

they will spend thousands and thousands on paint and even more on engine and "you want $2200 for a cutsom bent 10 point chromoly cage? are you f'n nuts? my buddy will do the exact same thing for material and a 12 pack" then why are you talking to me?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
some words of wisdom from the prophet.....;) it amazes me how guy's place priorities in race car construction the average guy seems to place them in this order atleast in my experiance.

1.....looks
2.....performance

3......safety

1 and 2 can flip flop from person to person but 3 is almost always the same.

they will spend thousands and thousands on paint and even more on engine and "you want $2200 for a cutsom bent 10 point chromoly cage? are you f'n nuts? my buddy will do the exact same thing for material and a 12 pack" then why are you talking to me?
he was hoping you would go for a 6 pack of keystone light :p

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
I can't argue with what's been said, but I will say the NHRA and IHRA rules seem kind of arbitrary sometimes. Seems to me that they should try to make it more scientific. Or as we say in medicine "evidence based". You first have to define how safe is safe enough and then factor in cost. Definiing safe enough related to cost is known as cost per quality adjusted life year (QALY). One QALY is one year in good health. It's amazing how expensive some medical interventions are. For example, Medicare genreally regards treatments costing up to $50,000/QALY as "cost effective". This is close to the number used in Great Britain as well. I don't think most of us could afford to go racing at that rate, just like most of us couldn't afford kidney dialysis unless the cost was shifted to the general population, as it is by Medicare.

I wonder how and who is making the safety decisions? Some of the rules seem ridiculous, like the 2-year certification for seatbelts.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
we,re doing basically every bar needed for a mildsteel 25.4/25.5 cage apart from the funnycar cage with our project , makes things easier down the road should one decide to step it up and run faster then 8.50,s , like some have stated i,d rather over build a cage in the beginning and add more power later with no fear of the chassis being under built

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think if you're going to put the bar in, put the cage in. I don't see how you could possibly regret it.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
I can't argue with what's been said, but I will say the NHRA and IHRA rules seem kind of arbitrary sometimes. Seems to me that they should try to make it more scientific. Or as we say in medicine "evidence based". You first have to define how safe is safe enough and then factor in cost. Definiing safe enough related to cost is known as cost per quality adjusted life year (QALY). One QALY is one year in good health. It's amazing how expensive some medical interventions are. For example, Medicare genreally regards treatments costing up to $50,000/QALY as "cost effective". This is close to the number used in Great Britain as well. I don't think most of us could afford to go racing at that rate, just like most of us couldn't afford kidney dialysis unless the cost was shifted to the general population, as it is by Medicare.

I wonder how and who is making the safety decisions? Some of the rules seem ridiculous, like the 2-year certification for seatbelts.
lawyers are who are making the saftey decisions i think. if 10 bars is safe then 20 would be twice as safe right? how about transmission and flexplat shields how in the F to they wear out?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts