Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys here is the lead up and the question.

You are given 300k to start up a pro-Mod type car. It should be made to run in the ADRL, IHRA, Edelbrock Pro-series. You will need to have an entire operation up and running, tow rig, trailer, fuel car and tow rig, special tools, spare parts, entry fees, crew fees, food and lodging. Plus have some left over to get the people the sponsor wants in and fed at say 3 events. call it 10 people per event.

Can it be done for that much?
If not how much would you need?
Who would you get to build it?
could they get it done in time for the start of the '09 season?
what motor?
what trans?
Who would you get to build said motor?
What would you need to maintain the car the following years?
What kind of trailer? (see below if you add that into it)
Whos Trailer?
What kind of tow rig?
Whos tow rig?

Also guys I am looking for reasons on why you would choose the way you do.

Let's add some things, crew and crew chief could be had for say 30k, this would include adding a second car to the team that is already done and ready. Already have a trailer that would work, but may just need a tow rig.

I will give my answers in a few hours, this board really hops so looking for some good answers and ideas.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
If it's a new Team I don't think I would want an unproven car myself. Tearing up new engines and cars is very expensive! I would have to say that the Team would have to prove it can be competitive and consistent before I turned them loose with a new car and rig.

I agree, look for a proven combination.

g

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Used rig, used car. It would be tight but could be done. There are some 18 wheelers for under a buck 50 and smaller tow rigs for less. Cars can be had for 100+ which would leave maybe 50 to 80 to race on. Try for $400,000

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
A new operation from scatch, I'd say its not possible. Buying somebodies proven set-up I'd say its possible.
Probably going to see that be a x10

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
As for the toter, could always just rent it for the number of races you are running.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys you are not thinking outside the box here.

Why a toter? Why not a dually, with a 40+' trailer with sleeping quarters. Also 100k would buy a lot of hotel rooms. I think with smart planning you could do it for less. also lease a dually.

300k is the amount. must be new car. may not be competitive in IHRA but I think it can be done.

So buying an operation is out. You also have a good connection with an engine builder and a tuner, crew chief is ex pro-mod pilot. some of these details should have been stated earlier but I thought someone would think out side the box. McAmis is over a year wait last I heard. Why not Vanishing point? Doing some o fthe work yourself. come on guys.

Ray was starting down that road.

Ok so lets here it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
We are parking the Kodiak and going with the dually and gooseneck. Andy McCoy can turn out some cars quick from what I've heard as well as others. Thinking outside the box is one thing it's just hard to know what level of equipment you want to have. I've seen a team run an alcohol funny off of a dually and an 18 ft. dovetail trailer so it can be done. Sponsors however like to see nice equipment with their name on it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
First off, I would think that any sponsor that would that kind of money would require top notch toter and trailer. There's your 300k off the bat. Then to buy a competitive adrl car (light weight) I would imagine that would be about $150+ (again, light weight lots of carbon, titanium, etc) Motors (yes, motorS, another $100+), spare wheels, heads, pistons, clutches, gears, tranny's, FUEL, lubes, plugs, brake clean(we go through about a case a day racing) fittings, etc etc etc.... another 50 to 100k. Then you got your go racing cost of toter home fuel, food, fees, etc... $300k would get you a first class limited street or outlaw operation from the ground up... lol

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
I think you could "piece" together a Pro Mod team for 300 gran with a older tote/trailer. Used Pro mod chassis/motor and have some spending money to support your racing season.

To expect to purchase new transporter/Trailer and a new pro mod chassis. Engine program combined with race expenses for the season. I would venture to say you asking allot out of 300 gran

As mentioned already I guess it depends on what the sponsor's expectations are. This kind of money sounds perfect for a already established Pro Mod team looking for a sponsor

However if the sponsor is expecting a up to date state of the art Po Mod tem I think that 300 gran is way to light to accomplish it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts