Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
If your really in a bind and the house is hot as fuck, as it’s 95 here in jersey, just ghetto rig your garden hose sprayer onto a something and put it on a mist or shower setting and spray the condenser coil down while it’s running. It’ll just be water cooled instead of air cooled, and it’ll help take the edge off inside
Something else I’ve seen people do when they don’t have the part is strap a box fan on top of the condenser and let it go until you get the right part. Of course the best thing to do is call out a professional HVAC man that works out of a fully stocked van and get it fixed permanently and correctly

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
it is up and running now, took 2 days because the capacitor my unit requires was not in stock so had to order it. guess most are 45uf/7.5uf and I needed 40uf/7.5uf. Any way thanks for the help guys.

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
7,878 Posts
Keep spare caps around, keep in mind they have a life span. They’re also filled with an electrolyte much like a car battery. They do not last forever, when they fail they can cause more damage than the actual cost of the cap itself. I change caps yearly on mine and I keep a spare set. Every year at least one person I know will call me up asking for help, almost always a bad cap, and there is always a run on them forcing a several day delay in repairs.

Run a set of caps for a year, swap out to the spares you have then buy new spares, that way they stay rotated out. Sounds over kill, but just wait till ya see what a bad start cap does to a compressor over time. Hard start caps are also a nice addition. Think of it as a higher stall torque converter. The stress on electrical components is greater during start up, the faster you can get everything up to speed and keep proper voltage the longer components will last.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You don't actually need a dual capacitor. You can use two single caps if you get in a bind.You just need to jump power to the other if it actually needs it. For all those now wanting to stock up on caps, you can buy what they call a turbo capacitor. Its a muti tap were you add included jumpers to make the sizes you need. they come with a poster showing all the positions for the different ratings. They are about $70.00 but Instead of carrying a shelf load of caps on a service truck you only need a couple of these and gets you out of a jamb until you can find the correct size. ALSO BUY A USA MADE CAPACITOR, its the Chinese made ones that are shit. Most supply houses carry both now.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
One of my units stopped working last week. I replaced both the hard start cap and the run cap. Nothing. How do I test for motor myself? Unit doesn't come on, fan doesn't turn.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Your not getting 24v to the condenser, out on low pressure, or possibly blown fuses in the disconnect

·
Registered
825 Posts
Something else I’ve seen people do when they don’t have the part is strap a box fan on top of the condenser and let it go until you get the right part. Of course the best thing to do is call out a professional HVAC man that works out of a fully stocked van and get it fixed permanently and correctly
If you knew half of what you claim to know.

You'd have a garage full of rare Corvettes and Camaros next to a mega mansion...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
So my A/C fan quit running replaced cap 40uf / 5uf 440V, that did not fix it. Local HVAC shop says the
5KCP39GF AB283 S 1/8 HP 825 rpm 1.1amp 208-230V is on back order and they don't know when they can get one in.
They said they have a upgrade unit,
5KCP39GFS166S 1/5 hp, 825 Rpm, 208-230V Genteq 3S003
They said it would require a new capacitor. The old capacitor is a 40uf 5uf 440V. They said I would need a 40uf 7.5uf 370V/440V for the new motor. I won't say what they want to do the install.

I took apart and cleaned up the old motor and got a new capacitor and it is working for now but is noisy. So I am asking will there so called upgrade motor and capacitor fix the problem for good? Is it gonna raise my electric bill?
HVAC person was unsure since the new motor is rated at 1.4 amp and old one is 1.1 amp.

Any way just want to make sure he is not giving me a line so he can charge more for the job. Looked everything he told me up online and did not find correct answers or satisfactory ones. Hence asking here. TIA Jeb.
So, you want free advice?

I'll be happy to give you accurate and efficient help from my 35 years in the field for $100/hr. I'll even tell you exactly which motor/cap you need, where you can buy it and how to install it. But, my expertise is $100/hr.

OR

You can roll the dice with internet advice from people who either don't know or are guessing. You'll probably have to buy everything twice. But, if you think that's cheaper than my price to get it right the first time, be my guest.

·
Registered
9,442 Posts
the horsepower and rpm is what truly matters. the motor has to turn a blade and usually takes a certain horsepower to do so. the only way to know if you are good is to check the amp draw on the motor and see if it's within range. if it's over that amp rating or right at the ragged edge it won't live. as far as the electricity is concerned it's realy nothing. to get wattage uou multiply volts times amps, so at 240 volts times .3 that's 72 watts, so that's basically less than the average light bulb while it's running

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
Yeah a box fan on top is a great way to torture test the system due to high side numbers........so yeah, I would agree with the second half of your post ;-)

·
Registered
15,629 Posts

I'll be happy to give you accurate and efficient help from my 35 years in the field for $100/hr. I'll even tell you exactly which motor/cap you need, where you can buy it and how to install it. But, my expertise is $100/hr.

OR

You can roll the dice with internet advice from people who either don't know or are guessing. You'll probably have to buy everything twice. But, if you think that's cheaper than my price to get it right the first time, be my guest.
Sounds good brother, unless you are as poor at typing as you are at sharing....then to provide the motor/cap and how to install should run about 5 bucks lol

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Sounds good brother, unless you are as poor at typing as you are at sharing....then to provide the motor/cap and how to install should run about 5 bucks lol
I've seen other posts from you and they're usually negative about something you dislike or directly putting others down. My guess is it's a self-confidence issue to make you feel better about own insecurities and short-comings. Anyway, as they saying goes, 'A shallow brook is far louder than a deep current.' You fit this ton a T. Good luck with ya bad self.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

OR

I give them the line from Joe Dirt, when Unicef goes into the hvac field maybe you can get it for free but until then. I dont mind giving a little advise but told my friends and neighbors , I‘m commercial and industrial takes totally different tools. Had one come down on a 4th of July , they had people coming over and had not turn the air on all year. Fuck that,its a holiday for me also.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts

OR

A forum full of free advice, some of it even good in the tech sections, and you want to charge for your expert bullshit? The bills are in the mail for all the questions you asked and people answered for no charge in the past, clown.

·
Registered
15,629 Posts
I've seen other posts from you and they're usually negative about something you dislike or directly putting others down. My guess is it's a self-confidence issue to make you feel better about own insecurities and short-comings. Anyway, as they saying goes, 'A shallow brook is far louder than a deep current.' You fit this ton a T. Good luck with ya bad self.
Thank you

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
A forum full of free advice, some of it even good in the tech sections, and you want to charge for your expert bullshit? The bills are in the mail for all the questions you asked and people answered for no charge in the past, clown.
Sounds like you can't get the Gerbil out.

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
17,583 Posts
Gonna bump this thread, I just looked at a buddys condenser and the fan runs really slow, wont even start up at times. I pulled it out and the shaft has like 3/8s of an inch endplay. Motor seems to spin free. Does it sound like the fan motor or the condenser? Sorry ahead of time for askin for free advice. 😁

21 - 40 of 41 Posts