Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
time to go racing yet ?
32,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are your thoughts on these for new construction ? propane unit, home will be 2500sq ft single level, slab floor, no basement. considering 2 units 1 for bedrooms, and another for living area.

seems like it might be a good option i can run the ducting in the walls / ceiling to the bedrooms and no messing with anything else like lines etc. we are going to use a tankless hot water heater and gas stove, so we wouldn't really need a typical mechanical room to house this stuff.

what do i need to know or maybe other options ?

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
I would look at a modern oil furnace also instead of propane 30% more BTU's from a gallon of heating oil verses a gallon of propane. Also I would go with a electric heat pump water heater over a propane powered on demand tankless. Electric heat pump water heaters use about 25% of the power as a regular electric water heater but cost more $1300 verses $500 for 50 gallon.

Fuel Efficiency

There is one more factor that needs to be taken into account when judging propane vs oil – fuel efficiency. Gas furnaces (both natural gas and propane) convert a higher proportion of their fuel supply into heat than oil burners do. Comparing brand new furnaces, you should expect to get a fuel efficiency of between 89 and 98 percent for propane and between 80 and 90 percent for heating oil.

Assuming you compare the most efficient furnace of each type, you can adjust the relative heat production of the two forms of heating fuel:

• 91,600 x 98 percent = 89,768 BTU/gallon for propane
  • 140,000 x 90 percent = 126,000 BTU/gallon for heating oil
Even adjusting for efficiency, heating oil still produces more heat per gallon than propane.

The comparison thus far has focused purely on the amount of heat equivalent amounts each fuel produces. The decision on whether to choose propane vs oil heat is greatly influenced by the high price of propane heating systems and the higher cost of home heating oil.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
were are you? I am in Ohio. I put in geo thermal. Its both heat, a/c and hot water.We have an electric stove. No need for a co monitor. Also the electric bill is less than $200 even in the cold months. Birdtracker

·
time to go racing yet ?
32,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
were are you? I am in Ohio. I put in geo thermal. Its both heat, a/c and hot water.We have an electric stove. No need for a co monitor. Also the electric bill is less than $200 even in the cold months. Birdtracker
eastern pennsylvania, so same climate as yours. geo would be nice. but i think it would be to costly to install. i get the long term benefits but not for this project.

im not interested in heating oil. but i will look into them. propane seems to have less swings in cost vs oil

we own our propane tanks so we get a very good rate. this past winter was pretty decent, paid 1.05 per gallon delivered. to heat our current shop/living area we spent no more than 1200 this past winter thats about 6500 sqft..... even in the coldest winters we have yet to spend over 1800 in propane. the past

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
$1.05 a gallon for propane is a real good deal. I have a kid in PA, that heats on oil. Last winter there oil ran around $2.20 a gallon.

·
time to go racing yet ?
32,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
$1.05 a gallon for propane is a real good deal. I have a kid in PA, that heats on oil. Last winter there oil ran around $2.20 a gallon.
it is a good price, when i 1st got propane 7 yrs ago i had the local company put 3 100 gallon tanks outside, i didnt know they charged a "lease" fee and the rate was typically around 2.40g after a couple years i had someone mention hey buy a tank and just buy from the lowest seller. so i had a 500g tank installed, cost around 2k for it. but saved alot over the past few yrs, the highest i paid was around 1.55g a few yrs ago when it got cold as shit out and there where supply issues. i had a forced hot air oil furnace before, 1 in the shop, 1 in the "home" area and they did good but like the propane better.

looking at these package air units they are only 80% might have to re think and go with an indoor unit would like to have a better efficiency rating

1 - 6 of 6 Posts