Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this house and gutted it 7 months ago , rebuilt it all new, Prob' I'm having is with this cold winter, the bran new Oak floors and new maple cabinets are getting little gaps showing its dry in the house , even my nose feels it ......the furnace is a Natural gas carrier 140k BTU , and has a April-air Humidifier i rebuilt and installed a new Honeywell Humidistat in Central location on main floor ....the humidifier works perfect at 'THE' furnace, water going down the drain line while on ....its on every heating cycle, meaning the stat is calling for moisture, if i dial stat back it clicks off at 20% moisture , it's set at 35+%.....

the Humidifier is the return type, mounted on the supply side and piped to the return (not fan powered) what dawned on me yesterday was the 2 month old filter is a heavy pleated one, so i pulled it last night and put one of those cheap web ones in , and i sure can tell I'm moving more air(hope moisture to ) i see the drapes and curtains moving by the registers ,where before they weren't ....
Soo?? would the heavy pleated filter kill the moisture from Humidifier? if not , what??
also found that the furnace return duct was way under sized for furnace was only good for 100k btu.. it is size right now ;)

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Could be the humidifier is too small for the house. How many sq feet do you have and what model and make is the humidifier?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I never install the humidistat in the house , I install it in the return duct above the bypass so that it sences the air of the whole house not just one room , and it definately needs to be above the bypass to get a correct reading. I've been a sheet metal worker for 15 years. If you need more help pm me , I just noticed that you probably dont live to far from me.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be the humidifier is too small for the house. How many sq feet do you have and what model and make is the humidifier?
Aprilair model 550.... house is like 1,900sq' not counting bacement whitch dont figgure into this,

what Ur thought on heavy 3m pleated filters ??

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never install the humidistat in the house , I install it in the return duct above the bypass so that it sences the air of the whole house not just one room , and it definately needs to be above the bypass to get a correct reading. I've been a sheet metal worker for 15 years. If you need more help pm me , I just noticed that you probably dont live to far from me.
Emm where stat is right now, dont care soo much, house is dry , Humifire is on every cycle, calling 100% so ??

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Aprilair model 550.... house is like 1,900sq' not counting bacement whitch dont figgure into this,

what Ur thought on heavy 3m pleated filters ??

With the 1 inch filters the more shit it filters out, the more restrictive it is. I don't like them for performance of the equipment. That being said, thats not your issue. Let me see what that humidifier is rated to size wise.

·
YB Managing Editor
51,168 Posts
With the 1 inch filters the more shit it filters out, the more restrictive it is. I don't like them for performance of the equipment. That being said, thats not your issue. Let me see what that humidifier is rated to size wise.
The plugged filter will restrict air movement and that will cause the low humidity problem. The 550 will handle up to 3000 sq ft.

Give it a few days to bring the humidity up. Remember it has to not only humidify the air but everything in the house. Floors, walls, furniture, etc etc etc..

You have the damper set to winter on the unit right? :)

And you need to remember that relative humidity changes with air temperature. 30% at 70 degrees is fine. 30% at 60 degrees is not. The lower the temp the denser the air and the more water it can hold.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
The plugged filter will restrict air movement and that will cause the low humidity problem. The 550 will handle up to 3000 sq ft.

Give it a few days to bring the humidity up. Remember it has to not only humidify the air but everything in the house. Floors, walls, furniture, etc etc etc..

And you need to remember that relative humidity changes with air temperature. 30% at 70 degrees is fine. 30% at 60 degrees is not. The lower the temp the denser the air and the more water it can hold.

His filter is new. I realize a plugged filter will cause problems. Maybe good for 3000 sq feet in a new house, but wonder if his house may have a need for a bigger one. Just thinking.

·
Registered
132 Posts
A 140k btu furnace seems way too big for a 1900 sq ft house. The furnace may not be running long enough to humidify the house.

·
Registered
899 Posts
A 140k btu furnace seems way too big for a 1900 sq ft house. The furnace may not be running long enough to humidify the house.
x2, a 75,000 would do that just fine, if the house is well insulated. Make sure the bypass is open, Humidistat above bypass and make sure the that the water is flow accross the whole pad. If its a two stage furnace run it at low fire so that it cycles longer.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I too, was going to say the exact same thing. I am not 100% familiar with humidifiers as I live in SC and we usually have to add DEHUMIDIFIERS instead :D And I would think your issue would be that you are not adding enough humidity into the home. But than again, regional we are different. Only thing I would agree with is the BTUS seem too high and to move the humidistat into the home and to pick up from the return itself

·
Registered
162 Posts
Definately use the cheap filters. the pleated filters reduce airflow which can cause your heat exchanger to overheat and crack. As far as your humidifier, i do hvac in central ky and most people around here set the humidistat to about 40%. And it will help alot to change the humidifier filter every year. And like blubu68 said, if you can run the furnace on low, you will actually heat the house better due to it not short cycling from being way to big for the house.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

wow, you guys are thorough, what dampers u refer to ?? the discharge duct comes off the top of the furnace and branches north and south (same as the house sits) it does have a damper on each branch and there both open 100%.. let me get U some pic's,k....

·
YB Managing Editor
51,168 Posts
wow, you guys are thorough, what dampers u refer to ?? the discharge duct comes off the top of the furnace and branches north and south (same as the house sits) it does have a damper on each branch and there both open 100%.. let me get U some pic's,k....
The damper on the humidifier. Right where the 6" pipe from the supply plenum attaches. There is a lever to open and close the damper for winter and summer. You close it in summer so air will not bypass through the humidifier and risk freezing the A/C coil.

It's on the left side of it in this pic.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The damper on the humidifier. Right where the 6" pipe from the supply plenum attaches. There is a lever to open and close the damper for winter and summer. You close it in summer so air will not bypass through the humidifier and risk freezing the A/C coil.

It's on the left side of it in this pic.

glad u told me, i have to install a damper come cooling season..mine doesn't have one...

here is best shot i got of furnace tag, 140k btu for sure, as far as cycle time it seams decent, 10 to 12 minutes usually ...

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this house is a cape cod style house ....2 big bed rooms and washroom upstairs and 2 decent bed rooms and washrom, kitchen ect,ect...why i say '1,900-2,000 sq" is i had 1,752 sq' of new oak flooring on the main floor and up stairs so figgure in the washrooms were around 2,00k sq'

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as for insulation, i gutted this house , i mean gutted it 7 months ago .......let me say i insulated it to Hell and back during 90* heat this august, the attic i just blew in a R60 + insulation....
I mean gutted...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts