Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did GM make any valves for 1-2 shift from the factory that would hold low gear? I have a early model valvebody that you can't bolt the filter to. The valve is made the same diameter and has two oil grooves cut in it. The valvebody has the hole that you normally plug in it though.

Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any pictures yet but the large end that you grind flats on is not there. This area is the same size as the rest of the valve.

·
Super Moderator
19,584 Posts
There were some valves that looked like stock color valves (not like the black ones) that I have seen but the vent still must be plugged to work properly. It may also have a small governor differential area. Look in the bore and see if its the same size as the shift valve diameters. If it is then it will be a system that will allow late manual upshifts without overriding the governor in low range yet not be able to go to manual low until governor pressure gets below a certain point.

Hutch

Hutch

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The valve on the left diameter is the same as the typical one on the right that you can grind down. They both go in the valve body and fit. Its just that the first land to the left on the valve is the same diameter as the rest unlike the typical valve that has the larger one that you grind flats on? Just didn't know if I had something. I will get some pics tommorrow.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok. I new it was early because of the filter issue. I thought that GM might have made some valves.

Is it ok to copy the trans go kit valve and fix one like it. What do you plug the case with?

·
Super Moderator
19,584 Posts
If the late style valve with the large land will fit all the way into the older casting then the small od valve with the casting plugged will work like the mods that are done today. Plug the VB with a 1/4" grub screw (very short) only tap the hole part way in and install it with some loctite.

Hutch

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok. Thanks so much Hutch. I think sometimes we should pay for the invaluable services. I will still get a pic to you of the valve in question.

·
My little SBC...
2,692 Posts
Just to add:

You can also drill and tap the VB for the filter bolt.

Jim

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. Top left is the stock valve from the 1964 th400.

Top middle is the valve fixed just like transgos replacement.

Top right is all three.

Bottom left again is all three.

Bottom right is typical stock valve.

The 64 doesn't have a larger step to start with and it has a extra oil groove that is about where the trans go valve starts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts