Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Hutch, I read in a post of yours about using the 4l80e (smooth drum) was not good for trans-brake apps, can I plug or tig weld the extra drum holes or apply piston if needed, what do you recomend, was thinking about the hipster 400 brake @ 325.00, thanks in advance, Brad

·
Super Moderator
19,481 Posts
I have late drums (checkball in the drum) that have new races installed then I OD grind them to size for racing applications, machine a groove for a tru arc retaining ring for the sprag plate then machine the other side for a bearing. Its basically a new TH400 race prepped drum.

Hutch

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pretty interesting. I use 4L80E drums in ALL my transbrake 400's and have never had any issues.

Frank

·
My little SBC...
2,690 Posts
Pretty interesting. I use 4L80E drums in ALL my transbrake 400's and have never had any issues.

Frank
Yes, but you also run Predator carbs.:rolleyes:

Just messing with you, I think they're cool old carbs. Looks killer with two of them up top.;)

Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have late drums (checkball in the drum) that have new races installed then I OD grind them to size for racing applications, machine a groove for a tru arc retaining ring for the sprag plate then machine the other side for a bearing. Its basically a new TH400 race prepped drum.

Hutch
whats the price on your prepped drum, no clutches, thanks Brad

·
Registered
178 Posts
I must be wasting my time with all this work then.:p

Im a fussy asshole , maybe its just me.:smt102

Hutch
I use them with Hipster 'brakes and with Hipster manual valve bodies. I like the 80E drums because of the checkball in the drum, set up for sprag, and the spiral snap ring to hold the sprag retainer on. I'm always willing to listen, though. Have you had customers complain about any you've used an 80E drum in?

·
Super Moderator
19,481 Posts
I use them with Hipster 'brakes and with Hipster manual valve bodies. I like the 80E drums because of the checkball in the drum, set up for sprag, and the spiral snap ring to hold the sprag retainer on. I'm always willing to listen, though. Have you had customers complain about any you've used an 80E drum in?
I have seen where the high clutch life goes down the drain with 2 port drums in some applications. The other is the race OD is not to the spec that I prefer to use.

I use late drums so the checkball is in the drums I use and I have control over the race diameter because I grind them in place so they are as dead nuts as you will ever see. The relationship to the bore is within .0005" and the parallelism is within .0001".
I don't like spirolocks and until I run out of T400 outer sprag races there doesn't seem to be a reason to change. The chinese drums for the 4L80E that are cheap I have no interest in using so that puts the GM drums out of reach ($$ wise) for most.

Hutch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts