Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to pick up a mower tonight and i've narrowed it down to a honda at home depot and a husqvarna with a honda engine at a local hardware store, both are $399. i'm leaning toward the honda, but i've heard home depot mowers aren't the same quality as the ones at power equipment dealers. i'd appreciate informed opinions on either one. thanks

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Don't know about the push mowers, but with riding mowers it seems like if it has a plastic hood instead of a metal hood it just isn't built as good....and I think all of them have plastic hoods now....

Is go for the Honda though

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The Honda engine is on both. I bought a Troy Bilt at Lowes with the Honda engine 3 years ago and haven't a minutes trouble out of it. I think its 6 of 1 half dozen of another on the mower as long as you get the Honda engine.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have had my honda for ten years now, and it runs fine. Only thing that broke is the gear/clutch for the drive, but it was easy to fix.

·
RAKER
3,365 Posts
I need a new one myself. I go from a town house to potentially 1.23 acres if I get the house. I was thinking for a rider either Craftsman or Cub Cadet.

·
Hemi's ROCK!!!
32,157 Posts
I would say the Honda, if for nothing else than availability of overall parts for the mower when needed. And it is correct that HD and Lowes sell a lower line than commercial power mower outlets.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I have the Honda Harmony HRX217HXA, top of the line with the plastic deck. Had it for about 5 or 6 years now. Been a fantastic mower until last year when the trans started to act up. It works fine going forwards, but if you need to pull the mower backwards, the wheels will sometimes lock, meaning you drag it. Of course there are no serviceable parts in the trans, you replace the whole assembly...for about $300.00. :mad:

I've had to take the drive wheels off in the past to clean/grease the ratcheting drive cogs, but unfortunately this time it's not the problem.

·
Aviation Section
25,376 Posts
First, there is nothing better then Honda engined power equipment.

That being said I bought a John Deere bagger at Lowes 3 years ago, it is a powered Lawn Mower and was not the most expensive, that was the same JD but with a oil filter and since the engine does not have a pressurized system it is pretty much on there for show.

This JD replaced a $900.00 Toro Ninja Lawn Mower that I had for 10 years and I thought that was the shit, this JD is better and I only paid $300 and change for it.

As another person said somtimes it does not want to go back but I think it is the control for the drive, if I play with it I can find neutral and it will roll back.

All for trading with the little guy at the hardware store and I love Honda anything but I bought the JD and am very happy with it. Dave

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
First, there is nothing better then Honda engined power equipment.

That being said I bought a John Deere bagger at Lowes 3 years ago, it is a powered Lawn Mower and was not the most expensive, that was the same JD but with a oil filter and since the engine does not have a pressurized system it is pretty much on there for show.

This JD replaced a $900.00 Toro Ninja Lawn Mower that I had for 10 years and I thought that was the shit, this JD is better and I only paid $300 and change for it.

As another person said somtimes it does not want to go back but I think it is the control for the drive, if I play with it I can find neutral and it will roll back.

All for trading with the little guy at the hardware store and I love Honda anything but I bought the JD and am very happy with it. Dave

John Deere is getting out of the walk-behind business this Year (Mowers, Snow Blowers, etc)

·
Unoffical YB Fundraiser
14,678 Posts
Honda with out a doubt,
Most honda mowers come with a 3 year warranty. If you buy it at the box store you can get another 2 or 3 years added to the end of the factory warranty to make it a 5 or 6 year warranty. I work for a box store in that department and I can tell you in the 2 years I have been there I have seen 1 Honda mower returned. We dont sell the Husqvarna brand so I cant tell you what the return rate is on them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I mow lawns on the side and the Honda's from Home Depot are all I use. Great mower, never give any real problems. Had one sit for two years in storage the other day. Stored it with some stabil and the first pull last week it fired right up. Surprised the hell outta me. If your just mowing your yard with it, itll last you 15 years easily.

·
Registered
28,262 Posts
i need to pick up a mower tonight and i've narrowed it down to a honda at home depot and a husqvarna with a honda engine at a local hardware store, both are $399. i'm leaning toward the honda, but i've heard home depot mowers aren't the same quality as the ones at power equipment dealers. i'd appreciate informed opinions on either one. thanks
Alright, I have never owned a husqvarna, but have owned Honda cycles and power equipment, you cannot go wrong with Honda.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Hondas are great machines no doubt, I bought a upper end Sears Craftsman last year with key start and self propelled, so far it is an awesome mower.

Quick tip, have a look at how easy the bag is to remove, nothing worse than fighting with a bag full of grass to get it out from the discharge area.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Honda (Craftsman), mine is 10 years old and running strong. In fact the wheels are falling off and need to be replaced.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
I like the blade brake on my Honda mower!...
You release the handle and the blade stops, but the motor remains at an idle!...
Just sits there and idles while I clear the excess grass out of the chute!... :cool:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts