Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Phuckstick
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i called mark williams today and asked them the hp rating on their 35 spline axles and they said 700? i figured they were about the best .

what is the most amount of HP you guys put to a 8.8? kinda wondering if my F3 powered car is gonna break em? :confused:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
i called mark williams today and asked them the hp rating on their 35 spline axles and they said 700? i figured they were about the best .

what is the most amount of HP you guys put to a 8.8? kinda wondering if my F3 powered car is gonna break em? :confused:

I know of quite a few guys that have been running in the mid to high 7's with them and have not had alot of problems with them

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
When you go to 35 spline axles in an 8.8... The spool becomes the weak link.. Cause it's wall thickness is thinner than with 33 spline axles.. The carrier bearings are only so big..

·
Trouble Maker, So Im told
4,433 Posts
So whats better 33 or 35?

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
So whats better 33 or 35?
HP ratings on axles are usually very conservative. Our 91GT has had the same set of 31 spline Moser Super Alloys since 2000. The car had a ProCharger D3R from 2001 till last year. We went to a 91mm turbo last year, and upgraded to an aluminum block this year. It's still very heavy at around 3350 with driver. It goes low 8's at 175 and typically 60's in the mid 1.30's but the end of last year it had a 1.28 on a good track. It's getting upgraded to 35 spline axles over the winter, but as crazy as sounds, it's still 1/2" 4 lug. We've NEVER broken a wheel stud and only replaced them once in 8 years. Don't get me wrong, you don't need to ASK for trouble (like we have probably been doing) but the stuff is MUCH tougher than you think.

I've got an 8.8 with brand new Moser 35 spline axles and new Moser 35 spline spool for sale. It's complete with T/A cover, and your choice gears, and dual caliper Aerospace brakes. I've got UPR upper control arms, spherical bearings, and nice nearly new set of wheelie bars available with it as well if you have any interest.

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
Do yourself favor and cut the rear end for 9 inch ends with the big bearings. It takes the load off the center and puts on the outside. weld the axle tubes, t/a cover for bearing support, braces for axle support. you can spend quite a bit of money on one.

It wll cost almost the same as a 9inch by the time you're done.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Comparing apples to apples with premium internals when I priced mine out it wasn't even close to a 9 inch.

Strange and MW both make caps to replace the stock cast iron caps. Strange are aluminum and MW are steel.

I agree the 9 inch ends are a must because of the bearing size, as well as, the oil leaks that are prone with c-clip eliminators.

Be sure to use a solid pinion spacer not a crush sleeve also.

Other added benefits include less weight and less power to run than a 9 inch.

Disadvantage is really only no Pro Gear...

My $.02

·
Trouble Maker, So Im told
4,433 Posts
Like this?
Its a braced 8.8 with 33 Spline axles and spool.
9" housing ends Large bearing.
I want to upgrade the 33 spline to 35 Spline Mark Williams stuff.
4.30 gears , NO2 car, looking for low 1.20 60 fts and 8.0s or better if I can.

·
Phuckstick
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dammit, now i dont know what to do. ive always kinda been thinkin bout goin with the 9'' but i always thought less power to run a 8.8 and lighter. maybe i should just go 9" with 40 spline and be done. i need the car to go mid 7's thats what worries me with the 8.8. :smt102

·
Registered
364 Posts
Running 7s I'd build a 9".

Don't go overkill on the axles because it is alot of rotational weight, gun drilling is an option but not for a street car. The 9" with premium internals will be a great deal more than an 8.8 but you won't have any worries when releasing the transbrake button!!!

·
Phuckstick
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
im thinkin about buyin everything from strange, 9 back braced housing, aluminum ultra case, and the 40 spline gun drilled axles and pro gears. any opinions on maybe another company or any other options?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Why has no one said Dana 60? Do it once, never touch it again and lots cheaper than a 9". You really won't even need pro gears, and just put Large 9" ends on it. Nuclear bomb proof:smt115

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
Why has no one said Dana 60? Do it once, never touch it again and lots cheaper than a 9". You really won't even need pro gears, and just put Large 9" ends on it. Nuclear bomb proof:smt115
Uh, does the term "unsprung weight" mean anything to you? Bullet proof to be sure, but DAYUM!! talk about boat anchor heavy. Holy Titanic Batman!

·
Phuckstick
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LoL. ok, im really not a big ford fan even though im building a mustang (they just work so well) and im already mixing it up with a BBC procharged motor in it, so id hate to put a dana in it. all my homosexual mopar buddies would never stop givin me shit for that. so id rather blow up 10 8.8s before i put a Dana in it. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.