Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at some of the boost settings Holley has in the boost ICF, and it looks like I can set up a limit for boost that will cut ign-i read a couple
posts on here using the boost ICF for other safety cutoffs, like oil pres., etc, but it didn't sink in, lol
Is all I have to do is enable the box and ck cut ign and give it a boost max, or something more, like on the rev limiter where I have to reactivate it

·
Registered
574 Posts
When it sees whatever max boost you set it to it shuts off in a hurry!

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I was looking at some of the boost settings Holley has in the boost ICF, and it looks like I can set up a limit for boost that will cut ign-i read a couple
posts on here using the boost ICF for other safety cutoffs, like oil pres., etc, but it didn't sink in, lol
Is all I have to do is enable the box and ck cut ign and give it a boost max, or something more, like on the rev limiter where I have to reactivate it

thats it....
set the boost numbers and set it to cut ignition...
and when it reaches that boost value...it will kill the ognition.

if you read the help files/instructions...you will see that everything is covered there..
also.. I highlighted an important part about how the Safety kills/resumes the ignition

in the Boost Control Instructions

Holley EFI Help Files said:
3.1 Boost Safety System

In order to protect the engine, vehicle, and driver there is a safety system integrated into the boost control ICF that will allow you to assign actions to user defined error conditions. It is certainly possible when setting up the boost control ICF for boost pressure or dome pressure to become out of control for a variety of reasons. Hose connection failures, electrical faults, or bad tuning could all cause the system to reach a boost level that would be intolerable to the engine, the turbo, or traction conditions. For this reason we have defined a set of conditions with user adjustable thresholds that will allow you to manage the response of the system.

Each of these conditions has a user selectable action associated with it: “Ignore”, “Revert to Wastegate”, or “Cut Ignition.” If “Ignore” is selected as the action, no action will be taken if the error condition is met. If “Revert to Wastegate” is selected as the action the ECU will command the boost control solenoids to result in the lowest boost possible. At this point the boost will be entirely determined by the mechanical wastegate system if it is operational. When the “Revert to Wastegate” action is invoked normal control will resume when the TPS<10 for 3 seconds. Because there are a category of failures that have more severe failure modes the option is given to “Cut Ignition.” For instance if you are running a dual port wastegate and the line blows that connects the compressor discharge pressure to the bottom of the wastegate, the system will not reach equilibrium at a normal boost pressure because the mechanical control system (innermost loop) is compromised. In this case it is good to have an option to shut things down as quickly as possible to prevent damage. When the “Cut Ignition” action is invoked normal control will resume when the TPS<10 for 3 seconds OR engine speed falls below 2500RPM. This can result in a sawtooth oscillation if you maintain WOT, but it should get your attention.

There are three conditions that allow you to define a response to errors in boost pressure. This is manifold pressure, not dome pressure. The safety can be used even if you are not controlling boost pressure (“Dome Pressure Only” or “Open Loop - Duty Cycle” for instance). The first condition is met when the boost pressure exceeds the user defined threshold for any length of time. So if you setup Boost Pressure Above “30.0 psig” “Cut Ignition,” as soon at boost hits 30 psig it will cut the ignition. The second condition is met when the boost pressure exceeds the user defined threshold for a user defined length of time. So if you setup Boost Pressure Above “15.0 psig” for “2.0 sec” “Revert to Wastegate,” then the boost pressure will have to be greater than 15 psig for at least 2 sec uninterruptedly before the boost pressure control solenoids will be commanded to lowest possible boost. The time condition is added to desensitize the system safety to short spikes, which allows you to specify a boost threshold that is closer to your actual target with a lower risk of unwanted activation. The third condition will react to the Boost Error Index being greater than a user defined threshold for a user defined length of time.

There are three conditions that allow you to define a response to errors in dome pressure. This is not to be confused with boost pressure in the manifold. The first condition is met when the dome pressure exceeds the user defined threshold for any length of time. So if you setup Dome Pressure Above “30.0 psig” “Cut Ignition,” as soon at dome hits 30 psig it will cut the ignition. The second condition is met when the dome pressure exceeds the user defined threshold for a user defined length of time. So if you setup Dome Pressure Above “15.0 psig” for “2.0 sec” “Revert to Wastegate,” then the dome pressure will have to be greater than 15 psig for at least 2 sec uninterruptedly before the boost pressure control solenoids will be commanded to lowest possible boost. The time condition is added to desensitize the system safety to short spikes, which allows you to specify a dome threshold that is closer to your actual target with a lower risk of unwanted activation. The third condition will react to the Dome Error Index being greater than a user defined threshold for a user defined length of time.

There is one condition with even greater flexibility that allows the user to pick a switched output to monitor. In this case you can define your own switched output that corresponds to a condition to which you wish to react, a time that the condition must be met before action is taken, and the action that would be taken when the condition is met. It is important to realize that you do not have to use a physical output of the ECU for the channel to be used. For instance you could setup a switched output called “LowFuelPressure” that is active when MAP>150kPa and Fuel Pressure<40psig and select that output to use in the boost safety function to cut the ignition if this is true for more than 0.5 second.

·
Registered
20,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks-you and Danny had a post that kind of dealt with that last paragraph, setting up other stuff like FP, etc-i looked that over but
it didn't sink in, lol-I take one step at a time with computer stuff, lol
It runs pretty much perfect now, I can beat on it and not hurt anything, but with playing with a man. boost controller I wanted a safe guard
Turbos are a little more tricky than the Prochargers on boost, your kind of at the mercy of the exhaust getting the turbine spinning up/down

1 - 4 of 4 Posts