Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is 10 and has been showing a interest in trying MX racing. He has a CRF70 now and I found a school Motovation conducted at E-town that I'm thinking about signing him up for in the spring. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. He's only been trail riding so I figured get him some training and seat time on a track. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
655 Posts
It has to be his idea to try it, or else it wont stick.

Been there, done that. I tried to get my boy into it (cuz I did it, and still do it), but it just wasn't his cup of tea.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope all his idea , tried baseball & soccer and just went through the motions.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
My son is 10 and has been showing a interest in trying MX racing. He has a CRF70 now and I found a school Motovation conducted at E-town that I'm thinking about signing him up for in the spring. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. He's only been trail riding so I figured get him some training and seat time on a track. Thanks for your input.
My neighbor rides with his 6 and 8 year old kids all the time to keep it fun and is now building them their own track! I think it all started when he started playing the crusty demon videos for them all the time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
the key thing is for both of you to remember to just have fun with it. When he starts to be competitive, then start taking it more seriously.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
get him riding with kids his age and it just happens , also if dad rides with him helps a ton. my 2 boys have been at it for 10 years now. time flies when you look back at it this way. lots of great camping/racing weekends at track for us during those years. my oldest is now a good B 450 rider and youngest is a crusher in 12-13 85's getting ready for 250f. cant wait till there both on big bikes. down to 5 bikes from 11. tough sport , let them go at there own pace. they want to win too..

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Don't push him too hard. Let him pick it up on his own. Been racing for yrs and the kids race also. Nothing worse than seeing a parent forcing a kid to jump something they are scared of when the parent couldn't even do it themselves. Motocross takes alot of time and practice to get good. Some kids pick it up easy and some just take more time to get comfortable. Entering them into a school would be a great idea, they will learn the right technique. Main advise I can give is buy you a bike and ride with them (if u don't now) and enjoy every minute of it.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I loved MX when I was a kid, and I would love to kill the dick who stole my YZ80 the day my dad got it running, that I never even got to ride. Then we couldnt afford another bike :(...

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
School is a great start it gives them the right way to do things, instead of later trying to break bad habits. Most of all don't push him if he's not fast still support him, I hate nothing more than dads abusing their kids when most of them would be slow as hell if they even ride. It's like football dads trying live thru their kids playing. Just remember he's his own person, he's not a carbon copy of you. I had to learn this the hard way years of greif till I was ready to accept this. I am very competetive and fight or race anything and my son is more like mom which is not a bad thing. Very skilled he's a great Fabricator and welder but not competetive, very detal oreinted, I just destroy stuff.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First and foremost is I want him to have fun, winning at anything is great but doesn't mean squat if you look back and didn't have fun. I haven't ridden in a while but I'm looking to pick up a bike to ride together. My two girls 6 & 8 share a lil 50 so its gonna be a family affair. Definitely gonna put him in a school so he starts off right without any bad habits. He's got a CRF70 and doesn't look like that bike conforms to the classes. Guess next step would be a 65.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts