Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says. I've tried a 3 arm gear puller several different ways and no luck. What's the trick to pulling this pulley off? Every time I get it to grab as soon as I start to tighten the puller one of the 3 arms slips off. I've read on another board that the 3 arm puller works but I can't figure out how to get it to not slip off. Tricks? Or another option for removal?

Thx

·
Registered
692 Posts
You're using one that grabs inside on the spokes or inner hub, right? The oreillys Chrysler rental tool works well, usually just have to sub a 1/4" drive 6" extension in since the longest rod they provide isn't long enough..

Post a picture of your crank pulley from the front.

Also if you insist on 3 jaw external puller, go buy a 5 or 6" hose clamp (usually in house ducting area of home depot) and use it to keep your jaws clamped on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't post an attachment but it's a stock LQ4 Escalade motor n pulley.

Yeah I'm using one that grabs the inner spokes comes thru the inside and I even tried to attach it to the inside of the pulley itself n it slipped off.

I'll use whatever can get it off, lol. Not married to this 3arm puller. I'll go check out that Chrysler one tho. Or better yet I'll see if they have one like the one in that link at Autozone or oriellys

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Do not use one like the OTC posted. The cranks are hollow and just have a freeze plug that you would be pushing on. Big oil leak

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
It didnt come with the correct length rod. I drilled a hole in the head of the bolt for the rod to go into. The bolt sets on the end of the crank.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Dude........I know what your going through. My only complaint about ls engines is installing and removing balancers. Sometimes its smooth, but when one gives you trouble.......it can really give you trouble. Stay at it.....you'll get it off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it off!! Finally! THX guys!! now onto finishing the motor and getting it in my Camaro!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts