Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if cleaning and painting of bare metal such as body panels or roll bars, use PPG DX 579 METAL CLEANER and DX 520 METAL CONDITIONER

here is the steps involved in completing this task for Iron,Steel,and Galvanized.

STEP #1 Apply Metal Cleaner (DX 579) mixed 1:2 with water.Allow to react 2-3 minutes,then rinse.Water should sheet over entire surface.Use an abrasive pad such as Scotchbrite while applying.

STEP #2 Apply Metal Conditioner (DX 520) straight from the container.Allow to react 1-2 minutes,then rinse well and dry. Prime with DP Epoxy Primer in the same day.

If you plan to paint aluminum use DX 533 (aluminum cleaner) and DX 503 (conditioner)

for Brass Copper and aluminum thats to be clearcoated use DX579 (cleaner) and DX 501 (conditioner) and for clearcoat use DAU 75.

For Chrome, nickel or stainless steel Apply Aluminum Cleaner (DX533)and scour with an abrasive pad. Rinse well with water and dry. then apply DP Epoxy Primer.

·
Registered
151 Posts
or, save the money and use some elbow grease with sand paper/9 inch grinder. till shiney bright bare metal(no brown rusty stuff). wipe with clean rag and coat with 1k epoxy etch(cheap).
use the money saved on good top coats.period.

·
Registered
1 Posts
etch bare metal

last time i used a metal conditioner 15 years agoi noticed a familier smell i read the ingrediants alchol and water,ive been useing ospho ever since.apply with red scotch brite wipe excess with prep towel then epoxy prime

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Where can I get that Ospho stuff? My ex-chassis guy told me it was some good stuff.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Use a solvent based wax and grease remover and clean the surface, sand it with 80 grit, clean with a mixure of isopropyl alchol-acetone-water mixed 1:1:1 then apply two good coats of a quality epoxy primer. This will provide your best foundation for a quality paintjob. Best corrosion protection, durability, and solvent resistance + it's isocyinate free and compatible with all polyester,epoxy,urethane,enamels..... Some good quality epoxy primers also have excellent sanding capabilities-Check out Southern Polyurethanes-awesome stuff.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
All those DX part numbers have been discontinued. PPG has moved all those products into their One Choice line and they now have SX prefix. Jobbers will still have the DX products until they run out of stock, but replacements will be the new part numbers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts