Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Budget Beater
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe a dumb question. (Gimme a break, the strokes killed my memory lol) How can you tell the difference if the burr is for iron or aluminum? I have a few in the tool box and can't remember what they were for.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
Maybe a dumb question. (Gimme a break, the strokes killed my memory lol) How can you tell the difference if the burr is for iron or aluminum? I have a few in the tool box and can't remember what they were for.
what they didnt come with a MAN U AL :p oops sorry didnt see you were from mexico :p

·
2 wheels,no cage,250mph
6,995 Posts
The steel ones normally have a cross hatch fine type of tooth.The aluminum ones have larger teeth and rip your skin off when you slip.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Aluminum burrs are usually a single cut design. Iron burrs are double cut. Look kinda like a serrated knife edge. The edge has spaces down the face of the edge. Aluminum burrs don't have these spaces. Looks like a screw would. One continuous edge spiraling around.

·
Registered
770 Posts
i work in a foundry where we finnish gods for shipment, cast iron parts only, we use burrs with both cuts, some mfg. will make different types, from my exp. we uae them on alum. on patterns and fixtures with no clog, unless you really bear down on them, in witch case a little wd-40 or tranny fluid does the trick, i prefer the tranny fluid couse it seems to take less

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
be very carfully of ATF or other solvents, there not good for you. Some of the smoke can be like nerve gas.
Never use break clean ... And dont buy Snap On burrs JUNK

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
I thought he meant the differance between # of teeth. Now see he means the differance between HSS ( high speed steel) and Carbide. As mentioned HSS is silver and light compared to carbide which is greyish and heavy and pricey. LOL

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
I thought he meant the differance between # of teeth. Now see he means the differance between HSS ( high speed steel) and Carbide. As mentioned HSS is silver and light compared to carbide which is greyish and heavy and pricey. LOL
Also, HSS will take a bump. Carbide being a lot more expensive:)p), will not. Bang it and it's gone.

·
Budget Beater
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I looked through my receipts and found the details, I have carbide burrs and they are double cut, bought them several years back from Cornwell, glad the wife was an accountant and saved this stuff!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts