Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI what is the correct way to calibrate dipstick it th400 as alot sticks on market read wrong i have a integrity trans pan with cooler tubes going through it ,if i fill pan on floor were should i fill it to exactly ? then i will tip back into jug and measure pour into trans and mark dipstick
thanks
victtor
new zealand

·
Registered
855 Posts
Correct fluid level is at the pan rail level or slightly above. Can check the stick level ho;ding it beside the tube and see where full mark is . or else one book i remember seeing said to run the trans warm, shut off motor , loosen pan and let excess run out to pan level. The would get you close.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Going to bring this old post back to life. If this method was used, wouldnt the level be pretty high at that point??? I would think that would be like 1/2qt or so over filled.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Going to bring this old post back to life. If this method was used, wouldnt the level be pretty high at that point??? I would think that would be like 1/2qt or so over filled.
Nope. That is the correct operating level. Just a smidge past the pan/case junction.

As was said. Run the stick down outside the tube and make a mark.

·
from across the pond...
6,930 Posts
After talking with Hutch and seeing pressure on the data logger i can tell you it needs to be 1/4" above the full mark on a locking style dipstick.
Anything less and the pressure is very unstable. This is a 400 in a chassis car that the trans points down towards the front, and the oil pan is notched at the back for crossmember clearance.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
After talking with Hutch and seeing pressure on the data logger i can tell you it needs to be 1/4" above the full mark on a locking style dipstick.
Anything less and the pressure is very unstable. This is a 400 in a chassis car that the trans points down towards the front, and the oil pan is notched at the back for crossmember clearance.

Without checking the dipstick to verify where the full mark actually is, 1/4" above the full mark is meaningless.

·
Super Moderator
19,350 Posts
After 7 years that statement is still accurate if you had no other way of checking it. All I can add is that the oil pan would have to be flat.

Hutch

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
I believe Trans Go had a procedure for checking T350 and T400 Trans levels. All Imremember is getting it upmtomoperaying temp raising on hoist (pan level) and loosing pan bolts slightly (and evenly) to let fluid come, leaving oil level at top,of pan. What I don't remember is if you added a set amount after that or left it there.
My buddy and I Were taking a Auto Trans class at the community college in 1975 and we're doing a lot of shift kits in class, that's where I read it.
Funny thing we were towing his drag car to the track with his BBC Turbo400 2500 pickup and smoke came out from under the hood as we pulled in the gas station. Lifting the hood we were greeted with a small fire from Trans oil coming out the dipstick tube and burning on the exhaust manifold.

·
from across the pond...
6,930 Posts
Without checking the dipstick to verify where the full mark actually is, 1/4" above the full mark is meaningless.
Full mark is level with the pan rail on my car. I did manage to check that. It's not my first rodeo.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Full mark is level with the pan rail on my car. I did manage to check that. It's not my first rodeo.
I didn't say it was, but there are plenty of guys who ASSUME the dipstick would be correct, and they often aren't, even in OEM applications.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts