Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
YB Word Crew
21,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any tips? I have to do one for a close family member in two days. I am hopeless I cry watching tv shows. It's really important I do a good job as my family is depending on me. Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
It won't help but don't worry about crying. Everyone mourns differently. When my father passed I was to do the eulogy. I walked to the podium, dressed in my Marine dress blues, started to talk and lost it. I told everyone to leave the church, which they did. I sat there for the next two hours with my dad. I would have never guessed I would have reacted that way. I wasn't real nice telling everyone to get out.

I wish you the best and am very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Crying isn't always a sign of weakness. Sometimes its an indication of love and compassion. Go up there and be who you are and if you get emotional, so be it. people will see visually as well as hear verbally how much he meant to you as you bring honor to his name and life. I know when my dad passed away it meant alot to see how people wept over him and his passing. It proved to me I wasn't the only one who thought he was a good man and missed him, and that I wasn't alone in my own mourning. Its an honor to be asked to do this. You must be special yourself to be asked. Pray and ask for strength during this time and know you have people praying for you and your family. You can and will get though this.

·
Registered
692 Posts
As others have said, just go up and be yourself. Maybe have a plan "B" for someone else that's less attached to read the eulogy for you if it really gets bad.

Sorry for your loss. Be proud that you had the chance to know them.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
Agree with what Karl said above, however one thing that might help is to write out the eulogy and then read it aload alone over and over then to a close few after a while the meaning within the words will not hit you quite as hard.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Don't be anxious about it, you have enough feelings to deal with already. If you loose it you loose it no one will judge you. Speak from your heart and all will be fine. Sorry for your loss.

Eric

·
IgnoreIsForPussies
20,761 Posts
Take two tablespoons of epson salt in a glass of orange juice before the funeral, you will be too worried about shitting yourself to cry.

And sorry for your loss,remember the good times.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Celebrate the life of person. Save the mourning for a later private time. Don't be afraid to ask family to help and add to the celebration of life with experiences and stories of life's lessons. I couldn't speak and my fathers funeral, but I did ask my cousins to help and they did a great job and I smiled the whole time. It's nice to know that other people think so fondly of someone special to you. You will do fine, just be yourself and speak from the heart.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I had to give one at my Father's funeral. The best advice I can give is that if you catch your self starting to cry, or rambling, just stop, take a deep breath, and try to compose yourself. Every single person in that room will understand.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
Taking a deep breath is about the only thing that helps, but don't worry about it!! Like someone else said, have a Plan B if you cannot finish it. And definitely try to mix in some funny things. It helps everyone in the room. It's okay to cry. :)

I'm so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Print it up and read. You will do most of your crying while typing it out. When you're reading it, you'll be ready for the tear jerking part and make it through a little easier.

Good luck and God bless during this time of loss.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Anyone got any tips? I have to do one for a close family member in two days. I am hopeless I cry watching tv shows. It's really important I do a good job as my family is depending on me. Appreciate any advice.
It is a tough thing but there is no wrong way to eulogize someone. You will be in my thoughts and just speak from your heart and all will be fine.

There is a terrific eulogy that I heard one day that might help. It was referring to the dash between the years of birth and death. Check this out as I think it may help.

http://www.thedashmovie.com/

The best 2:47 I have ever spent. Best of Luck.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Print it up and read. You will do most of your crying while typing it out. When you're reading it, you'll be ready for the tear jerking part and make it through a little easier.
That sounds like a very solid idea.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts

Good luck and God bless during this time of loss.
This is how I did mine . It worked for me. No one will think less of you if you have a hard time with it. Also remember to think about breathing. Best of luck and sorry for your loss .

·
Registered
199 Posts
When i was typing the eulogy for my brother i was already crying. When the time comes i really didnt cry the whole when i read it. Though my voice was cracking. I think crying is just natural expression when you loss someone. Dont be ashamed to show your grief.

I am so sorry for your loss. :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts