Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend of mine has qa1 DA rears and Single up front.

I had it set to full loose in the front and 12 on compression 4 on ext both from full soft in the rear.

the slicks were at 12psi. The car weighs probably 3800+

The car launched squatted alot, then and unloaded. Almost looked like a bunny hop. I was thinking about firming up the rear on compression. But I'm not sure how to adjust the singles in the front. What a good setup to keep ext pretty loose and compression on the tight side?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Friend of mine has qa1 DA rears and Single up front.

I had it set to full loose in the front and 12 on compression 4 on ext both from full soft in the rear.

the slicks were at 12psi. The car weighs probably 3800+

The car launched squatted alot, then and unloaded. Almost looked like a bunny hop. I was thinking about firming up the rear on compression. But I'm not sure how to adjust the singles in the front. What a good setup to keep ext pretty loose and compression on the tight side?

You have the compression and extension mixed up.
Reverse them.
About 9-10 on the extension and 4-5 on the compression

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
It would help if more was known about the car. It sounds like way to much hit on the tire slowing the rear ext would help

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Take the front off full loose.. your thinking is backwards on how it works..

Looser it is.. the faster it will come back down.. tighter it is.. more it "hold" front up..

NEVER go below 5 up front.. Of all the mustangs around here.. seems like full hard works best.. I RARELY see a car under 8.. most are 9 or 10.

I know your thinking when adjusting was "full loose will let the front end come up and throw all the weight back.. fuck yeah"

but your front end is jumping up.. topping out.. stopping all the weight transfer to rear and bringing it all back to the front.. then the struts on full loose dont give this cause and effect any resistance atall.. All this ends up with you unloading the rear.

That adjustment on that strut is actually only adjusting the compression, as in how much pressure the strut applies holding car up when its been extended and car is "settling" back down.. but the adjustment does play a role on the extension too.. but not near as much.. basically.. u can put that thing on 10.. when he leaves.. its still going to extend all the way pretty quickly with all the weight of front being lifted off it and the spring pressure pushing it down too.. it will just extend a little slower.. and i do mean a little..

Yalls goal needs to be to get that car to leave.. front end travels down slow.. barley even gets to full extension before it has started settling.. I have mine set to where it doesnt fully extend on the hit.. front comes up nice and controlled.. never tops out/ hinders weight transfer/ unsettles chassis/ or unloads rear tires. Set of 10..

Also.. I bet that car is a nightmare going down the track and turning in shutdown area.. the higher the setting.. the more stable to car will be down the track..

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
sorry 10 is highest setting on strange.. just reread and noticed u said they were qa1 fronts.. take all the strange settings i gave you and apply the knowledge to the qa1's..

BUT.. QA1s suck ass.. valving is shit.. you wont have to go to fulltight on them i woudlnt think. but like i said.. just use the knowledge you just got and go see what the car wants..

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
First what size tire are you running second what springs, and are coils cut to change ride height, what suspension pieces are you using, if you have a standard type lower or a lift type lower like a mega byte or a south side will determine were you want to set shocks and struts, a little more info about these things can get you some usefull advice!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take the front off full loose.. your thinking is backwards on how it works..

Looser it is.. the faster it will come back down.. tighter it is.. more it "hold" front up..

NEVER go below 5 up front.. Of all the mustangs around here.. seems like full hard works best.. I RARELY see a car under 8.. most are 9 or 10.

I know your thinking when adjusting was "full loose will let the front end come up and throw all the weight back.. fuck yeah"

but your front end is jumping up.. topping out.. stopping all the weight transfer to rear and bringing it all back to the front.. then the struts on full loose dont give this cause and effect any resistance atall.. All this ends up with you unloading the rear.

That adjustment on that strut is actually only adjusting the compression, as in how much pressure the strut applies holding car up when its been extended and car is "settling" back down.. but the adjustment does play a role on the extension too.. but not near as much.. basically.. u can put that thing on 10.. when he leaves.. its still going to extend all the way pretty quickly with all the weight of front being lifted off it and the spring pressure pushing it down too.. it will just extend a little slower.. and i do mean a little..

Yalls goal needs to be to get that car to leave.. front end travels down slow.. barley even gets to full extension before it has started settling.. I have mine set to where it doesnt fully extend on the hit.. front comes up nice and controlled.. never tops out/ hinders weight transfer/ unsettles chassis/ or unloads rear tires. Set of 10..

Also.. I bet that car is a nightmare going down the track and turning in shutdown area.. the higher the setting.. the more stable to car will be down the track..
Thanks,

He did say that car was a bitch to handle going down the track.

I'll be testing my Strange DAs front and rear this weekend. So I'll use that advice for my car. Where should I start the settings at for the strange DA fronts?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First what size tire are you running second what springs, and are coils cut to change ride height, what suspension pieces are you using, if you have a standard type lower or a lift type lower like a mega byte or a south side will determine were you want to set shocks and struts, a little more info about these things can get you some usefull advice!
Tire is a 28x10.5x15,
Springs a 185lb 14' in the front, not sure what he has in the back
There standard Metco LCA

Thanks

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Get some 14" 150s up front..

On the front struts question.. i dont know really.. Havent had the pleasure of playing with a set.. Im gona get some tho dammit.. lol.

just guessing if i got some.. I would start out with the compression being pretty high.. like 75-80% tight on the adjustment.. and the extension/rebound being 50%.. have camera going.. watch front end.. if it drops too quick then tighten rebound.. if it doesnt drop fast enough and blows tires off then loosen it..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts