Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the skinny is, it was built by Joey Bell Racing, 8.8 with 8.8 axle tube ends(weak point) axle tubes welded, chrome moly bracing sides and bottom, Moser Girdle with carrier studs, Powder coated black, Ceramic coated pinion bearing seat, Moser 35 spline axles, Moser 4340 yoke, 3:73 Pro gear, steel Pro spool, UPR Pro anti roll bar attached. So what do you guys think it will with stand before I have problems? Also what fluid do you guys run in your rears?

·
TRZ Rocks!
3,737 Posts
Been 4.73 with that same basic sent up. It's plenty strong.

·
TRZ Rocks!
3,737 Posts
I should warn you that I only get 75-100 passes out of the gears and I set them up tight with very little backlash, noisey as shit but seems to hold up better that way. It has the 8.8 pattern housing ends that use small ford bearings from moser, I assumed that's what you meant by 8.8 ends.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should warn you that I only get 75-100 passes out of the gears and I set them up tight with very little backlash, noisey as shit but seems to hold up better that way. It has the 8.8 pattern housing ends that use small ford bearings from moser, I assumed that's what you meant by 8.8 ends.
These seem to be very tight as well, I have not checked them but there is little to no backlash, My ends are one in the same. What fluid do you run and how often do you change?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the gears give any indication they are going away? Or do you check periodically?
I like to pull the cover off about every 30 passes or so. Gears are doing great but I havn't even begun to lean on this car yet and quite frankly don't have the motor to really lean on it YET.:p

·
TRZ Rocks!
3,737 Posts
These seem to be very tight as well, I have not checked them but there is little to no backlash, My ends are one in the same. What fluid do you run and how often do you change?
mobil 1 75-90 (i think that's the weight) and changed it if inspected or the gear breaks :) Wasn't aware of a 3.73 Pro gear, only the richmond 4.11 and the motive 3.90.

You can tell they are getting ready to break when they make a loud "pop" followed by the car hitting the rev limiter, lol. Sometimes you can hear a growling or clicking noise when being towed (there's always these noises, but it'll change drastically) and you know that they are not going to last much longer.

I was getting 75ish passes on the regular gears, have about 90 on this set of pro gears. Just inspected them and they looked really good, so I'm hoping for 150.

BTW we had my engine, transmission, and convertor in a very similar car except it had a 9in. it was always 1-2mph slower than mine in similar conditions. The only thing we could figure was the rear ends. I'm sure if that was it or not, but it was one of those things that give you an excuse to not go spend a couple ger on a new rearend.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mobil 1 75-90 (i think that's the weight) and changed it if inspected or the gear breaks :) Wasn't aware of a 3.73 Pro gear, only the richmond 4.11 and the motive 3.90.

You can tell they are getting ready to break when they make a loud "pop" followed by the car hitting the rev limiter, lol. Sometimes you can hear a growling or clicking noise when being towed (there's always these noises, but it'll change drastically) and you know that they are not going to last much longer.

I was getting 75ish passes on the regular gears, have about 90 on this set of pro gears. Just inspected them and they looked really good, so I'm hoping for 150.

BTW we had my engine, transmission, and convertor in a very similar car except it had a 9in. it was always 1-2mph slower than mine in similar conditions. The only thing we could figure was the rear ends. I'm sure if that was it or not, but it was one of those things that give you an excuse to not go spend a couple ger on a new rearend.
I call them pro gears but I may be wrong, I know for sure they are thicker in the shoulder and heavier than any gear I have ever seen, they do not have a brand on them but definately not stock. You can see how thick they are in the pics.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,416 Posts
Don't use a gasket, use "Ultra Gray" silicone.

I like to mix 1 quart of Redline Synthetic Shockproof light with 1 quart of the Shockproof Heavy. I also add 1 container of Posi additive, this additive is super slippery and will lower the coeffiecient 3-5%.

I run a 12 bolt chevy and it is surviving alot of abuse on a drag radial, this is the combo that has worked very well for me.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't use a gasket, use "Ultra Gray" silicone.

I like to mix 1 quart of Redline Synthetic Shockproof light with 1 quart of the Shockproof Heavy. I also add 1 container of Posi additive, this additive is super slippery and will lower the coeffiecient 3-5%.

I run a 12 bolt chevy and it is surviving alot of abuse on a drag radial, this is the combo that has worked very well for me.
Awesome! Thanks for the tips, they put a gasket on there when I bought the rearend and that damn thing was always dripping!

·
TRZ Rocks!
3,737 Posts
"The right stuff" is also excellent to use, just don't think that it's coming off without a fight! pretty sure you could install the ring gear with it and no bolts.

On the subject of ring gear bolts, they were never reusable, galled up and wiped the threads out every time. Switched to ARP and they have been much better upon disassembly.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It kills me to have my car in the garage with no motor but I figure while it's down I will upgrade the cage, go over the rear and some other stuff, I had the car for sale as a roller but I think I'll keep it, I already regret selling the motor and trans.:(

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
"The right stuff" is also excellent to use, just don't think that it's coming off without a fight! pretty sure you could install the ring gear with it and no bolts.
LOL...Yup.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
1 - 20 of 22 Posts