Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a 2012 30k miles coupe with the 6sp auto for something to go to the track and drives weekends

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The rear diff explodes if you look at it the wrong way. Engine/trans are very reliable. Electrical is hit or miss, the fewer options the better.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Pretty ridiculous first 4 replies, but I guess some have merit.

They are extremely reliable cars in stock form, but the rear usually gets a little noisy after you make a couple passes. The engine and trans are both great to around 800-850 flywheel, 700rwhp. The rear will get progressively noisier. They hold up for quite some time at this power range, minus the awful noise. Do not touch the trans tune unless the tuner is highly capable, and there are very few guys that know what they are doing. Most trans problems comes from the tune. The LSA is a solid engine.

The ultra view sunroof leaks if not addressed, and you also have to unclog the drains every now and then. I pulled my sun roof and headliner and installed larger drain tubes. Mind you, my cars are garaged so it’s not like they sit outside 24/7.

The supercharger just needs the solid isolator, and when you pulley it, do it at that time.

Try to keep the stock manifolds because if you do longtubes, you are going to eat sparkplug wires. Even with good ones, a couple of the plug boot areas start melting.

Other than that, they are mechanically and electrically reliable. They are awesome cars and my only real gripes with them are the ever increasingly noisey rears and the lack of room in the backseat.

·
SEENYOR MEMBER
7,890 Posts
One other thing, the magnetic ride shocks are known for early failure. When they leak the car rides likes a covered wagon.

There are zero replacement options other than GM or good used, so have them checked as they are not cheap to replace.

Also check the rear toe rods, they make the car feel squirrely on accel if they are worn. Dorman sells an upgraded Z28 toe rod for the ZL1, not sure on the V

I love the 2013 ZL1 I have, incredible machine.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,991 Posts
My brother has a 2014 V, it's all stock and has 40k on it. The only stuff he's had to do is normal maintenance, tires and oil changes, it went for a recall for the lug nuts because they still use those tin covered nut and the tin came loose and rattled.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
My brother has a 2014 V, it's all stock and has 40k on it. The only stuff he's had to do is normal maintenance, tires and oil changes, it went for a recall for the lug nuts because they still use those tin covered nut and the tin came loose and rattled.
The noise just happens when you are turning at low speeds, and that fix didn’t do much to fix the noise on my car! It’s just a clicking noise during low speed turns, and I only really ever heard it in reverse.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Pretty ridiculous first 4 replies, but I guess some have merit.

They are extremely reliable cars in stock form, but the rear usually gets a little noisy after you make a couple passes. The engine and trans are both great to around 800-850 flywheel, 700rwhp. The rear will get progressively noisier. They hold up for quite some time at this power range, minus the awful noise. Do not touch the trans tune unless the tuner is highly capable, and there are very few guys that know what they are doing. Most trans problems comes from the tune. The LSA is a solid engine.

The ultra view sunroof leaks if not addressed, and you also have to unclog the drains every now and then. I pulled my sun roof and headliner and installed larger drain tubes. Mind you, my cars are garaged so it’s not like they sit outside 24/7.

The supercharger just needs the solid isolator, and when you pulley it, do it at that time.

Try to keep the stock manifolds because if you do longtubes, you are going to eat sparkplug wires. Even with good ones, a couple of the plug boot areas start melting.

Other than that, they are mechanically and electrically reliable. They are awesome cars and my only real gripes with them are the ever increasingly noisey rears and the lack of room in the backseat.
I love when people try to talk about how reliable something is and then list like five things you gotta to do to keep it from grenading.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
I have a couple hundred passes on my V as well, all in the 10.6-11.2 range. It never left me stranded and again, other than the rear noise, never an issue.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a 2009 with the Ultraview roof. Finally got into the 10's with simple mods. I have an Oak tree in my front yard and you better keep an eye on the drain tubes from the ultraview roof. They clog and water drips from your pillars. With FL heat and a black on black car it makes the car super musty. Just had a new leak pouring water from the passenger side and turned out to be my A/C drain line was clogged with pollen.
Only ever replaced 2 shocks, front upper control arms, and spray lubricant around the rear to get rid of what seems to be a suspension binding sound.
Been a great car for me as long as I don't keep messing with it to go faster.

·
Read Only
5,966 Posts
Local guy got his down into the 9.70's on the stock blower with meth.....he was going through blowers though pretty regularly.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts