Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working at my current job 7 years this year. I do an exceptional job at what I do.

I've only been given one raise after I let them know 3 years in that I hadn't had one.
About to ask for another one...
I asked for one last year and didn't get one. Fail.

Do you get raises without asking?
If not, do you find another job?
Do you expect raises?

In all of my previous jobs, I got raises. Sometimes yearly, sometimes after they realized I hadn't had one in a while, sometimes it was just across the board.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Union raise every year ... but they raise the medical insurance thou...so i end up with less money ... lol
same here but my med stays the same

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Union raise every year ... but they raise the medical insurance thou...so i end up with less money ... lol
That's one of my issues right meow. No raise and the insurance is out the roof!

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
If you feel you're deserving of a raise ask for it.

If denied then I would ask why.

If the reason they gave is unsatisfactory, and you feel you can make more money or are worth more and can find better happiness elsewhere then I say its time to start looking for work with another company.

I'm self employed now, but in the past I've never stayed working somewhere when I've been denied a raise I've felt I've earned. Sometimes they realize what they are losing when you put your two weeks in. Sometimes they're glad your leaving without having to fire you......LOL

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I've been working at my current job 7 years this year. I do an exceptional job at what I do.

I've only been given one raise after I let them know 3 years in that I hadn't had one.

Do you expect raises?

In all of my previous jobs, I got raises. Sometimes yearly, sometimes after they realized I hadn't had one in a while, sometimes it was just across the board.
I have 46 employees. I can tell you there is a top pay for every job. You did not specify what your job duties are or your pay.

Most companies bend over backwards to take care of their good employees while sometimes over looking the ones that are only there for a pay check.

Some people who are great employees but work for large companies get over looked simply because they blend in with all the others because there are so many at the company.

In general I would say that if you have only had one raise in 7 years you are either at your maximum pay, not worth more than what they are paying currently or they have issues with your performance. That's just me guessing from the outside. Not trying to be rude just guessing at what might be going on.

·
Official Cactus Dealer
8,330 Posts
Will be at this job for 13 years come April. First 4-5 years got a raise every year. Then about 5 years of nothing. I bitched to my bosses boss about it and he had no idea we didnt get raises. So that got the ball rolling and I ended up with a raise and promotion out of it

·
Registered
1,926 Posts

Do you expect raises?

Why would you deserve an increase. Do you do something new, like take on more work? learn a new skill?

It's tough going in and asking for a merit increase based on length of service at least in the private industry. Is the company doing really good financially? Got any picture of you boss or his wife in a compromising act or position? Search the internet on how to go about it. Time of day is important, ect. Good luck

G

·
I get a cost of living raise every year and a half. It sucks because it doesn't match inflation,but...,I take that small amount and invest it into my life insurance policy premiums,and instantly feel better because I know my children will be well rewarded upon my death! Strange I know,but my love for them outweighs any monetary gain I may see during my life!

G

·
Coming from an employers point of view,that should say a lot. You worked and was respectful of your employer and their monetary position. You wanted to be there!!! Don't be a coward and approach your boss and just be open and honest to them. Best of Luck to you. Remember, yellowbullet gets 10% if your successful!!!

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
There are lots of factors. I live in a small area in N Idaho. Years ago I worked for a small HVAC/R outfit, and didn't feel all that overpaid. But there had been an "old school" outfit sold, and the new owners kept the name for recognition, then went on a massive expansion on the backs of their employees. For "awhile" they were all over, hundreds of miles in every direction, low ball bidding jobs. Turns out they were often LOSING money and went out of business. WHY DID I CARE?

Because at the time, as the pretty much largest HVAC/ plumbing entity in the area, THEY SET THE WAGES, so you could not go to my CURRENT boss and threaten to quit over a raise. Moreover, HE could threaten ME, "if you don't like it, quit and go to work for XXXXXX

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I try and give my employees a raise every year, sometimes it's every other year depending on the year we have. I always tell them the more money you make me, the more I can pay you guys and it seems to resoniate with them..........

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I can tell you there is a top pay for every job.
Why? If someone makes you a profit then surely their worth does not have a ceiling.

Seen it before, a number of times. Refusal to pay someone more money as their job is worth X. They leave, go to a competitor and wipe the floor with the company they left.

People are worth what they are worth, not what the 'experts' deem as the pay for the position.

OH and by the way tell that to the bankers that have raped our economy.

JMHO.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.