Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28,314 Posts
I think there’s way more to et, and mph then just hp. Car set up, clutch setup, air, and everything in between. The dyno to me is just a tool. That’s why I always go to the same dyno, and operator. Have went to others for people I assembled for, but for me, it’s same old same old. Otherwise, you will get lost.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I think there’s way more to et, and mph then just hp. Car set up, clutch setup, air, and everything in between. The dyno to me is just a tool. That’s why I always go to the same dyno, and operator. Have went to others for people I assembled for, but for me, it’s same old same old. Otherwise, you will get lost.
That is very true. Im thinking with good chassis setup the 100 hp difference i see would get narrowed some. My heavyweight street style car setup really beats up the corrected numbers. I once changed a set of rear shocks on car to adjustable drag shocks. The result was nearly 4/10 of a second. Tell guys that and they have doubts. But the cheap competition engineering shocks i had did squat compared to double adjustable setup. I always use same dyno also.

·
Registered
28,314 Posts
On the 6.16 run with the iron head engine, and the 5.85 run with the Dart/Buick engine, we were running a Single disc soft loc. Guys looking at our printouts stated with the proper clutch, there were .2 to gain with the proper clutch. Don’t know if it’s true, but we sure wondered what if?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It really depends on how well the car is optimized. You could have a 1000 hp engine and not run that fast if the combo is way off. For instance my super stock 350 engines make about 615 hp. my car has run 6.20 at 3160 lbs. My car is pretty well science out. Take 650 Lbs off and I would be running 5.80 +- You are probably just about right at 680-700 hp by looking at your short times

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
It really depends on how well the car is optimized. You could have a 1000 hp engine and not run that fast if the combo is way off. For instance my super stock 350 engines make about 615 hp. my car has run 6.20 at 3160 lbs. My car is pretty well science out. Take 650 Lbs off and I would be running 5.80 +- You are probably just about right at 680-700 hp by looking at your short times
Thats good times. My 3700lb tub with 702 6.9 was best.

·
Registered
28,314 Posts
And I’ve posted this elsewhere, but the late Allen Stanfield went like, 5.42, at 134 in the 1/8th mile, and I think some 8.40’s in the 1/4 mile, at, I think 158 mph with a single 750 Holley, with a wedge headed 280” at 2,950#’s. That’s horsepower. I did the math at the time, and he had to be close to 3 hp per inch.

·
Registered
165 Posts
And I’ve posted this elsewhere, but the late Allen Stanfield went like, 5.42, at 134 in the 1/8th mile, and I think some 8.40’s in the 1/4 mile, at, I think 158 mph with a single 750 Holley, with a wedge headed 280” at 2,950#’s. That’s horsepower. I did the math at the time, and he had to be close to 3 hp per inch.
I know this is an older post, but do you recall who built the engine or did the machine work in Stanfileds car mentioned above?

·
Registered
28,314 Posts
I know this is an older post, but do you recall who built the engine or did the machine work in Stanfileds car mentioned above?
I really don’t, but I’m guessing here. Panella probably was involved. I know it literally made everyone on the planet at 10.5 #’s per inch grit their teeth. The fast ones were even scratching their heads.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
What kind of RPM was he turning?

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
The calculators are an 'approximation'. Super efficient chassis design/tuning will easily go quicker than the calculator will predict for a given horsepower. Less efficient chassis design/tuning will not be as quick. Someone like Randy, who has things incredibly optimized will have an ET that is better than his horsepower would predict on a calculator. Randy approximating someone else's horsepower based upon his incredibly efficient results in regard to ET is not valid.

If using weight and dragstrip data, the MPH is more reliable... but converter slip and cars that run out of gear near the end screw things up there. It's all a big stab in the dark if we don't know everything about the car, and how well it works.
Approximation at best.

·
Registered
28,314 Posts
The calculators are an 'approximation'. Super efficient chassis design/tuning will easily go quicker than the calculator will predict for a given horsepower. Less efficient chassis design/tuning will not be as quick. Someone like Randy, who has things incredibly optimized will have an ET that is better than his horsepower would predict on a calculator. Randy approximating someone else's horsepower based upon his incredibly efficient results in regard to ET is not valid.

If using weight and dragstrip data, the MPH is more reliable... but converter slip and cars that run out of gear near the end screw things up there. It's all a big stab in the dark if we don't know everything about the car, and how well it works.
Approximation at best.
You’re right on most of your assessment. Other then, I don’t think we were anywhere near sorting out that cobalt. The breaks had so much drag, you could push the clutch in at 5 mph, and it would come to a dead stop. And our clutch was a single disc McCleod soft loc. All I know is all I had was 739 hp. Now, Ed Carpenter has that car now, and truly redid it from front to back, and will debut it in A/SM, and I imagine it will be fairly quick. I know he did a beautiful job with the car, and I wish him all the luck in the world. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get a best appearing, or best engineered at some point.

·
Registered
28,314 Posts
You’re right on most of your assessment. Other then, I don’t think we were anywhere near sorting out that cobalt. The breaks had so much drag, you could push the clutch in at 5 mph, and it would come to a dead stop. And our clutch was a single disc McCleod soft loc. All I know is all I had was 739 hp. Now, Ed Carpenter has that car now, and truly redid it from front to back, and will debut it in A/SM, and I imagine it will be fairly quick. I know he did a beautiful job with the car, and I wish him all the luck in the world. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t get a best appearing, or best engineered at some point.
And I don’t know what HP Stanfield had, but it was a bunch.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts