Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to either run a 4.8 or 5.3 that runs right now or a 6.0 that I can do some minor work to if I need to.

My goal is 5.80's in the 1/8th. I have twins 60mm on the way early next week. I plan to drive this a whole lot of street miles and race the shit out of it! 3-400 miles a week if I can. It will be driven on E85. The rest of my drive train to include suspension works really well.

If I was going to go with the 6.0 will the stock block and heads hold? Or would you recommend arp rod bolts, cam, and spring swap? Or go ahead and replace rods, pistons, rings, head studs, etc...? If you think I need to build the bottom end is their a kit that you guys are using that is fairly reasonable in price? and who are you ordering from? What sponsor?

I will be running EFI. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Stage 1. Rod bolts, good rings, cam, spring kit from TEA, head studs.

Stage 2. Aftermarket rods and pistons.

Should be able to hold 800-900 hp with my stg 1 stuff. That's only 400-500 bucks.

People are finding the stock rings fade quick. There's no super good ring set on the market right now. There's some plasma moly stuff but nothing that'd fall in the excellent category.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stage 1. Rod bolts, good rings, cam, spring kit from TEA, head studs.

Stage 2. Aftermarket rods and pistons.

Should be able to hold 800-900 hp with my stg 1 stuff. That's only 400-500 bucks.

People are finding the stock rings fade quick. There's no super good ring set on the market right now. There's some plasma moly stuff but nothing that'd fall in the excellent category.
Thanks. That was what I was thinking except for the rings. I was just going to open up the ring gaps but I would rather do it this way. Can I assume the rings are already gapped for a turbo set up when I call to order? If not do you recommend a specific gap.

Thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just the spring kit from TEA? Or everthing? I couldnt find them as a sponsor. I tried google but nothing came up. Any chance you have a link? Sorry if these are stupid questions. I am new to the site. Fairly new..

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
You could get everything. They aren't a site sponsor here. They have a drop in spring deal that works killer for bigger than stock cams. Www.totalengineairflow.com. They are a sister company to summit and trickflow so you could call mike at TEA and get everything you need in one call.

I don't use "pregapped" rings. File fit only. My stuff is setup .025-.028 depending on ring material in 4 inch bore stuff.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could get everything. They aren't a site sponsor here. They have a drop in spring deal that works killer for bigger than stock cams. Www.totalengineairflow.com. They are a sister company to summit and trickflow so you could call mike at TEA and get everything you need in one call.

I don't use "pregapped" rings. File fit only. My stuff is setup .025-.028 depending on ring material in 4 inch bore stuff.
Thanks. I will check out the site and then give them a call.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
IF we are talking about the Chevelle in your sig at 3700 lbs, you'll need pistons, rods, head studs and main studs. If using the stock heads which would be at about the limit of power in the 1/4, you'll want .650 lift spring and keep the lift down around .600 as the stock head doesn't have much to offer beyond there and some moly pushrods. Standard LS2 chain, stock crank, LS7 lifters, and stock rockers should be fine. The Wiseco pistons come with good rings, a decent set of rods and a cam just under 240 duration will get you there. You shouldn't have any issues pushing coolant in the 1/8th.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IF we are talking about the Chevelle in your sig at 3700 lbs, you'll need pistons, rods, head studs and main studs. If using the stock heads which would be at about the limit of power in the 1/4, you'll want .650 lift spring and keep the lift down around .600 as the stock head doesn't have much to offer beyond there and some moly pushrods. Standard LS2 chain, stock crank, LS7 lifters, and stock rockers should be fine. The Wiseco pistons come with good rings, a decent set of rods and a cam just under 240 duration will get you there. You shouldn't have any issues pushing coolant in the 1/8th.
It is the chevelle but that weight was with the big block. I also am haveing some work done on the frame to shave some weight. I think I can be around 3400 with me in it when I run it. Still probably not a bad idea to upgrade those items.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts