Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new to the forum I am setting up a small block single turbo blow through setup. I have the progamable digital 7 boost retard box.
The motor is 10:5:1 and 88mm turbo I just really need a base line to start with on how much timing to pull per pound of boost. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
I would go with more likel 1.25 per lb. Some motor tend to get more and more timming insensitive with the addition of boost. Start conservative and work your way up.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I was wondering what would be the best size wastegate and blow off valve to go with I am plaing on starting around ten pounds of boost and hopefully going to around 18 or 20, providing the compression isn't to high anyway.

·
Registered
49,830 Posts
Are you going with a T6 frame turbo ? I would go as big as I could afford on both the gate and BOV. Better to leave room to grow. I would think at least 1 50mm BOV and one 50mm gate at a minmum. If it is a t4 frame turbo I would go with at least 2 40mm gates.

Also I was wondering what would be the best size wastegate and blow off valve to go with I am plaing on starting around ten pounds of boost and hopefully going to around 18 or 20, providing the compression isn't to high anyway.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
When set-up it up with a map.
14.7ish is sea level pressure and boost does start till after sea level.

A hot starting tune with C-16.
34-36 timing, don't start pulling timing 'til 4 psi and only 1* per 1#

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Hi new to the forum I am setting up a small block single turbo blow through setup. I have the progamable digital 7 boost retard box.
The motor is 10:5:1 and 88mm turbo I just really need a base line to start with on how much timing to pull per pound of boost. Any help will be appreciated.

You did not say how big the motor is...
A JGS 50 or 60mm wastegate would work.
A JGS 56mm BOV would be fine.

You need less gate for more boost BUT more gate if you have to peddle the motor or run low boost.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a t6 frame with a .96ar and I guess a 60mm gate and a 50mm bov would be ok? What brand of each does any one recommend? The HKS 60mm is pretty resonable I have found.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The motor is a solid roller 355ci. with dart pro1 heads.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
JGS W/G's & BOV's

It is a t6 frame with a .96ar and I guess a 60mm gate and a 50mm bov would be ok? What brand of each does any one recommend? The HKS 60mm is pretty resonable I have found.
You have PM sir!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

You think at 30#'s of boost he should be at 10deg of timing?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Timing

Timing is a good topic. I often stay on the conserative side. I have been told one way to determine the total timing under boost is to install a fresh set of plugs make a pass and keep adding timing until you get the heat in the bend of the ground strap. I have also heard that some will actually let it start melting the ground strap and then back down a few degree. This sounds dangerous to me. Also doing it this way how do you know in the rpm range is creating the most heat. I know you are suppose to take out the most timing at peak torque, but you can have too much timing can be anywhere along the rpm range.

I guess an eddy current dyno (steady state and change timing and watch power) will be a great tool.

Any other thoughts? EGT's

Thanks, Seth

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wastegate-timing Questions

i have a similar question I have a 427w with TFS High Ports with a t6 1.06mm with i.32 ar im doing it as a Blow Thru and going to try the methanol injection to get it going till i get money for air -water intercooler What size Wastegate and Blow off i was thinking a 60mm and a 50mm ? can i use my 7al2 box ?? I was thinking of using Crank Trigger set up Any help will be Great Im planning on using a belt drive fuel pump not sure how much boost im going to need depends on how fast car runs as to how much boost .Any Help will be Great Thanks Hank

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Timing is a good topic. I often stay on the conserative side. I have been told one way to determine the total timing under boost is to install a fresh set of plugs make a pass and keep adding timing until you get the heat in the bend of the ground strap. I have also heard that some will actually let it start melting the ground strap and then back down a few degree. This sounds dangerous to me. Also doing it this way how do you know in the rpm range is creating the most heat. I know you are suppose to take out the most timing at peak torque, but you can have too much timing can be anywhere along the rpm range.

I guess an eddy current dyno (steady state and change timing and watch power) will be a great tool.

Any other thoughts? EGT's

Thanks, Seth
Reading plugs and a good A/F gauge are very important. An egt can provide some data but the A/F-W/B is more important.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
i have a similar question I have a 427w with TFS High Ports with a t6 1.06mm with i.32 ar im doing it as a Blow Thru and going to try the methanol injection to get it going till i get money for air -water intercooler What size Wastegate and Blow off i was thinking a 60mm and a 50mm ? can i use my 7al2 box ?? I was thinking of using Crank Trigger set up Any help will be Great Im planning on using a belt drive fuel pump not sure how much boost im going to need depends on how fast car runs as to how much boost .Any Help will be Great Thanks Hank
A gas blow thru is fine use C-16. Keep the AIT under 220.

Skip the akly, eventually you will tune it into your fuel curve and fi the akly system fails you own a lot of scrap metal.

Aeromotive Belt drive is awsome.

Ditch the anolog & and get a Digital 7 7531. It is the best box to use and offer the most features to get you done the track.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the help Whats the best way to keep a eye on the air intake temp I guess i will go directly to bonnet and not use the methenal untill i get intercooler .

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Your going to need a gauge, data logger, or a thermocouple and a way to record.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Reading plugs and a good A/F gauge are very important. An egt can provide some data but the A/F-W/B is more important.

A wideband o2 is definitely a good tool, but it is for tuning the Air Fuel Ratio. Timing is another variable, being off a few degrees on timing can melt a piston quicker than being slightly off on air fuel ratio. Timing is what times the combustion event in order to achieve peak cylinder pressure at the optimal crankshaft angle. Add too much timing and cylinder pressure go way up (I have read up to 10X) and detonation begins.

You have to have both in order to make efficient power...

Seth

1 - 19 of 19 Posts