Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the minimum shock travel you like to see with a stock suspension car?

I've got a 4th gen F-body with AFCO 3870 shocks in the stock location. I'd like to get the car down lower, but don't know what the minimum acceptable shock travel should be at ride height.

The car doesn't really squat at all now, but I dont want to accidently bottom out the shock either.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its fairly tight on the compression, mid-range on the rebound. I'm using cut stock springs, not a coilover setup

As the shock sits now, I have about 3" until it is bottomed out on the foam/rubber piece. Can I safely compress it more?

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Well down travel is a min the rear shocks should be extending. 1 1/2 is the min I would use the return road can be rough

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've been contemplating that. However, it will take a complete re-design of the lower shock mount since I'm using a stock style f-body mount on the current 9" housing.
Christian, when you say stock do you mean that they are bolted to the axle EXACTLY like the factory? Or are you using the clevis that madman sells to turn the bottom of the shock 90* so there is no binding as the suspension cycles?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They've got the clevis style mount, but the "L" shape of the stock shock bracket interferes with the shock body if you try to move the mount down any lower.

Either way, I spent some time in the laboratory last night and have a solution :smt115

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Make sure to post up pics! Don't be afraid to cut stuff up, I know a pretty good welder who would weld anything for a beer or two!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts