Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much power can be made with a light rods crank pistons for a all motor just want to see if you pic up a lot of power going with a light set up thanks pj

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
A lighter rotator may accelerate a little quicker, but won't make much (if any) more hp. Gains from "adding lightness" in and of itself are small. However, lighter components in the rotating assy. may allow more rpm and thus more power.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I wouldn't think any HP but I would think it would help with engine acceleration which is what helps get you down the track quicker.

·
Registered
287 Posts
absolutely no hp from lighter crank/rods/pistons

there are guys in super stock who switched to the honda journal stuff with a new crank and all,,, on a small chevy it ended up being 10lbs lighter from crank, and rods,, that equated to about .03 in a 10.0 sec car

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A local guy here took a bunch of weight out of his rotating assy. and lost 3-4 tenths and 4 mph. Maybe the rings were the main reason but his car has been mediocre ever since.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
if the engine lighter rods pistons crank would the heavy parts eat up more power just putting a new engine together or would it just rpm faster with a better et :confused:

·
pig hunter
9,424 Posts
i have see guys spend 1000 changing to super light stuff and gain 0 on the track and dyno....

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Light parts rev quicker AND..BIG one here...slow down quicker too...so when you shift..it hates it...it knocks the breath out every shift...what you gain..you also lose....proved it 25 times

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Bought one of the Superlight cranks from Scat back in 2006, 3.75 stroke with the pendulum undercut counterweights. Sure looked purdy, but other than taking maybe 5 to 10 pounds off the front wheels, and making it easy to lift on and off the engine balancer (had to use a slug of mallory per end) all it really did was lighten my wallet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts