Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the talk recently about the population and other things, I started thinking about a possible solution. Since the trend over time has been to move further away from trouble areas, how much of the country can we use?? There are many states with vast amounts of land that are undeveloped. I know that we need to keep a certain amount for agriculture but what about the rest? With the population soaring how realistic is it going to be start developing the many rural areas in this country. I see the development of these types of areas as something that can help turn the economy around. With more development and building, there could be more jobs, more businesses, more of a need for services and goods, etc. I really think that this country needs to expand its horizons and start to utilize its vast physical landscape and stop bitching about overcrowding. Were overcrowded because everyone keeps piling up in the same damn locations.
What do you guys think about this issue?? I'm interested to hear some valid comments. Dumb asses and their dumbass comment need not apply.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
I happen to live in a state with a small population, and is mostly un developed rural area. I'm damn glad to live in a place like this, and would do whatever it takes to keep it this way!! The few neighbors that I have now are too damn many!! The city I live closest too has experienced a development boom over the last few years, with your exact theory in mind. Now the town is full of empty expensive houses, and the economy is still bad, no one moved here, no new businesses moved here, the plan failed. My brother bought a house in a new development there, his house isn't worth half of what he payed for it, I don't think. The porch is fake wood, plastic shit all throughout that house, the house across the street from him is on the verge of being condemned because the foundation sank so much. Construction creates jobs for only so long, the economy would be great during the "boom," but would most likely be just as bad afterwards. That's exactly what happened here, and I'm guessing would happen most anywhere if this became a trend.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Same problems in Florida tons of people out of work because of the housing bust. I think we have plenty of empty housing now let's not ruin what wilderness we still have.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
Same problems in Florida tons of people out of work because of the housing bust. I think we have plenty of empty housing now let's not ruin what wilderness we still have.
Exactly!!!! Lets fill the houses that are out there before we rape more land!! There are lots of older houses around here sitting empty too. Now the dumb ass county commission is proposing more development!!! Our local government has it's head way up its ass!! Gee, it didn't cure the problem 5 years ago, maybe we should try it again!! Retards!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I happen to live in a state with a small population, and is mostly un developed rural area. I'm damn glad to live in a place like this, and would do whatever it takes to keep it this way!! The few neighbors that I have now are too damn many!! The city I live closest too has experienced a development boom over the last few years, with your exact theory in mind. Now the town is full of empty expensive houses, and the economy is still bad, no one moved here, no new businesses moved here, the plan failed. My brother bought a house in a new development there, his house isn't worth half of what he payed for it, I don't think. The porch is fake wood, plastic shit all throughout that house, the house across the street from him is on the verge of being condemned because the foundation sank so much. Construction creates jobs for only so long, the economy would be great during the "boom," but would most likely be just as bad afterwards. That's exactly what happened here, and I'm guessing would happen most anywhere if this became a trend.
Sounds like they came in and did this stuff on the cheap. Kep in mind that I'm not just talking about building homes and a few other things. I'm talking about businesses moving to new places or smaller communities and the growth following. I live in a huge metro area, and have seen first hand the surrounding areas and counties make huge improvements as people and businesses have decided to move away from the larger cities and their over inflated tax structures. I feel that this has happened enough that we should be able to aviod the mistakes of places like were you live.

A similar thing that I'm talking about actually happened in my home town. Years ago it was a predominantly white community, but over time it turned mostly black and now its turning hispanic. knowing the area as I do, you can see that the white families started to move west and into counties and towns that were specs on the map years ago. Now these once rural areas are thriving communities with business, schools, and communities that put the areas they left to shame. If done right, migration to new areas can be done right and made to last over time. I just feel that with the population boom that we are encountering this should be happening more. Instead, it seems that people are flocking to the same cites and totally overloading them. Instead of bitching and trying to make these people leave, it would make since to start to move into less populated areas. Businesses will follow suit, especially when they can be offered tax breaks and know that the a work force and supply and demand will be strong in the new area. I think we must continue to spread out in this country or we will be living like Rio or Mexico City. Those places are shit holes because they have like 20 million people living in them, instead of spreading the hell out. We have the space in this country, its just a matter of us using it. he beauty of this type of growth is that guys like you who live away from others can still have large properties and space from new builds if they plan the land properly. The areas around were I used to live are clearly divided. There are the people like you, who were originally there, and the new developments. The people like you have nice spreads in the "country", while the newer developments are just like any other city and subdivisions. The tow can co exists and thrive together.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Here's an example hernando co. Fl. Nearly one in 5 homes empty largest employer in county is Wal-Mart and have near 15% unemployment and we are only 40 miles from Tampa and an hour to Orlando. What we need to do is quit giving all these supposed American companies all these tax breaks to build everything we use in our country in other countries. Then maybe we can start righting what is truly wrong here the fact we have no manufacturing left here and the fact we are a sinking ship.

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
You make good points bumper, but I think this economy is going to be the ultimate limiting factor. These types of projects are hard to put together in good times, much less a recession. I can tell you also, from experience, I've watched small, fairly well self sustaining towns around here shrink up to almost nothing. More schools are closing every year around this state because people are moving away. I'm not totally against your idea, but I think it's mostly easier said than done. Most people around here where I live, aren't wealthy people, and really don't want to be. They know that the living they are going to make here is modest at best, but it affords them to live in a low population area, and that's what the majority of people around here want, myself included. I've been to LA, Chicago, Dallas, Seattle, Milwaukee, all cool cities, but boy was I glad to come home!! I really don't think anything like this will ever happen where I'm at anyway. I think most big city people wouldn't like it here. I'm 25 miles away from the nearest gas pump!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts