Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to hear how much nitrous you guys think this little 350 chev could handle.
1975 2 bolt 350 block, never seen the inside of a machine shop since gm put it together. Late model cast LT-1 pistons and powdered metal rods used $30.00 on ebay reused the rings that were on them, piston to wall clearance approx. .010! Some are worse that others.
Cast 350 crank from "crank pile" in my basement.
Trick flow twisted wedge heads.
Cam specs [email protected] .510 W/1.6 rockers 106 ls 106 Ic, hydraulic lifter
Dart Kool Can intake (same as perf rpm air gap)
Holley 750 HP, ARP head studs except center three on each head due to goofy valve locations on these head i have to run bolts.
Fel-Pro 1003 head gaskets.

This engine is in my 79 monza now and I am putting an edelbrock perf. rpm nitrous kit on it and I was wondering how high should I aim???
It runs 11.50s in 5000+ air @2800lbs on the motor with stock rear suspension and a 7.5" diff. with 26x10 et drags a mystery torque converter that seems to stall at 4200 or so ( I know it's way too high)
with a 1.56 short time. It did go [email protected] on a 75horse hit from a performer kit with a 1.49 60 foot bending the torque arm up into the driveshaft on the line, ended up with about 10 degrees positive pinion angle!

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
My question is,how much do you value your top end?
I'd say you are at your limits with 75 to 100 hp,there is a good chance you could JACK! some parts out of that block. :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be honest I don't value the top end much at all. The cam has a chewed up dist. gear from a cheap taiwan dist. that was in a different motor with that cam. and the heads were ported and gone through into a pushrod hole and I fixed that with some JB weld and 1/2" aluminum fuel line, also ground through into a couple of head bolt bosses in between the intake ports. Not to mention the goofy valve angles (intake @13 [email protected] but moved in the chamber) so I can't run any more cam without cutting the pistons and they still only flow [email protected] and [email protected] So it wouldn't be the end of the world if it went chernobyl.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I ran a mid 80's stock block with a cast crank and stock rods and rod bolts,with TRW flat top forged replacement pistons and Hasting rings with Fel-Pro head gaskets and sprayed it with a 175 shot Compucar plate. I also used a single 140 gph fuel pump and -8 fuel line and never hurt the engine. The car was 3600lbs and ran consistant 11.00'[email protected] 124mph. I never turned the engine higher than 6800rpm. I couldn't believe it lived as long as it did.

Good Luck
John L

·
Registered
117 Posts
i ran a setup kina like that as my first "race motor" (at least i thought it was one). stock 70's 350 block, cast 400 crank, stock 5.7" rods, trw's, brodix -10 heads, vic jr and a crane n20 roller. went 9.30's on motor and 8.49 on 225 shot... the 225 shot lasted about 30 bottles or so and the 275 lasted about 60ft, the car went left in the air , i lifted and got right back in the button. the block split in about 7 different pieces and they found my oil filter (still attached to the block) at about 300ft. it'll take quite a bit as long as your rings don't touch.

****ALL TIMES REPORTED IN THIS REPLY ARE 1,000FT TIMES AS THAT'S ALL WE HAVE IN THE GREAT STATE OF ARKANSAS**** :smt013

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I know that 7.5 is a time bomb but I've been hammering it for 8 years and nobody thought it would last that long aespecially with a 1.49 short time. A 9 inch is definately in the works for next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts