Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 1965 Buick Skylark Convertible (with 455 Buick power)out on Sat. to the Fontana, CA "street legal" races, cars must be licensed registered and insured, and NOT run quicker than a 10.0. They used to let a few cars run exibhition passes, quicker than a 10.0, if you called and got their permission. Well I tried but was denied, was told "you need to be street legal" I said I was, but was still told NO. So I went anyways, ran a motor pass, 10.40 @ 130mph, and being that I had to leave early, I put the bottle in the car and ran it out. Motor is set up for nitrous, NX plate system jetted to 200, comes on when the trans. brake is released, bottle press. was alittle low, 900psi, NX likes 1050psi. I just redid the rear suspension, car used to push to the right pretty bad so I would have to lift, I guess it was just what I was used to, the car launched straight, and I still lifted....Then ran it out to a 9.53 @ 143mph, like I said NO CARS QUICKER THAN 10.0. I was handed my time slip and told "your day is done..."So I'm figuring with me lifting I threw away a 9.30 or so pass, but how much more nitrous would it take to get a 3500lb. car to run in the 8's???? The NX plate is older but I run the 10psi fuel tune, and the plate can go to 300 hp...
Thanks for the help, here's a link to the video, has a few passes before mine, and my camera guy needs to make comments on
every pass......
Gary G.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljw-ZPUPaJA

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
im 3550 and run an 8.50 index

put a fogger with 32n 28f on tiop of that plate. that should get you some 8 sec time slips

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, with a fogger jetted with 32n & 28f, you're saying just add more nitrous, but how much is that??? I figured I'd need more nitrous, just want info. to back it up.
Thanks, Gary G.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would'nt put more than 250hp of nitrous on the buick block, more nitrous and a better tune would make it go faster but you will probably split the main webbing of the block, thats the weak point on buick blocks

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
thats a neat ride. how much timing did you pull and what gas did you use? i dont think you scrubbed a 30 pass maybe a 45. car books!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have "damaged" a few blocks in the past, but usually caused by an oiling issue or just bad machine work. I do run a halo girdle, passed on the full girdle with this motor, and the block has almost a full fill of hardblock. I pull 8 deg. of timing and I'm running c-16 when squeezing. I'll probably just do some more tuning with the 200 shot, or the 250, and be happy with what I get out of it. An aftermarket block is in my future.....
Gary G.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The car left nice and straight. It's a shame you lifted.

Dump the plate and go to a fogger!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have "damaged" a few blocks in the past, but usually caused by an oiling issue or just bad machine work. I do run a halo girdle, passed on the full girdle with this motor, and the block has almost a full fill of hardblock. I pull 8 deg. of timing and I'm running c-16 when squeezing. I'll probably just do some more tuning with the 200 shot, or the 250, and be happy with what I get out of it. An aftermarket block is in my future.....
Gary G.
Did you get the 2 videos of the motor passes I sent you a couple weeks ago?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts