Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just had his Eagle crank balanced for his 408 and it took 10 inches of mallory to balance it. Does that sound unusual?

·
Registered
116 Posts
10 inches of mallory seems a lot. I did mine with an internal 3.250 eagle crankshaft (302 ford). My rotating assembly (with steel rods, 9310 pistons pins, bearing , rings, oil etc) came out to be 1871.8
so I had to add mallory pieces to the crankshaft. Cant remember the weights, but I purchased 2 pieces of mallory (almost 7/8 inch in diameter and about 1-1.25 inch length)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Not saying its not possible but sounds a little "off" to me. I could see 6-8 pieces on a crank that was originally an external balance crank that was switched to internal. I do know Eagle makes them both ways depending on how you order it. What the bw and/or what kind of rods/pistons are in it.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Yes it is possible to get that much mallory wrapped up in a ford crank. If it started life as a 28oz crank most typically will take 4-5 pieces 1" dia front and rear to internal a 1750-1800gr bob on that crank.

·
Registered
458 Posts
ditto, changing a 28 oz balance to neutral takes a lot of mallory

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
We just did a Scat 351W 4in ,it took 11 slugs of mallory,1872 bobweight internal.We see a lot of the offshore Ford W cranks needing lots of heavy metal,think its because of when the Chinese first got samples to copy they were 3.500 stroke and they coppied the counterweight ,We usually recomend to our customers to avoid the Chinese Ford W cranks because the cost of balancing will equall a Callies.Bill C.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
We just did a Scat 351W 4in ,it took 11 slugs of mallory,1872 bobweight internal.We see a lot of the offshore Ford W cranks needing lots of heavy metal,think its because of when the Chinese first got samples to copy they were 3.500 stroke and they coppied the counterweight ,We usually recomend to our customers to avoid the Chinese Ford W cranks because the cost of balancing will equall a Callies.Bill C.
Which rod length was that crank designed for? I did one a couple of months back and it internal balanced w/o mallory, but it was for the 6.2 rod. Had a customer bring in a 3.25 (Scat or Eagle, don't recall) that had previously been balanced internal, the c/w's were RIDDLED with mallory. Unfortunately, his replacement pistons were XXX grams heavier, so I had no choice but to put a few grams external, since there wasn't anywhere to add more mallory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts