Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is my question....63 Ford at around 3000 lbs....408 cid sbf on pump gas, 225 high ports at 10.6 to 1 compression, Wilson Manifold ported super victor, Crane Cams solid (254/258 at .050, 672 lift) into a PTC Glide......

At what point will I need more than solid motor mounts? I am expecting around 625hp at the flywheel.....I see so many using motor plates....some using ears bolted to the heads (which I have been told causes pressure on the heads)....and I need some advice on this while I am putting this thing together. If solid mounts will work then great.....and thanks for your advise.....

·
Registered
472 Posts
I am by no means an expert but I don't think you will have any issue with solid motor mounts at your HP level. In our little circle of friends there at least 5 low 9/high 8 sec cars with solid motor mounts with no issues and you can go to the track any night and see dozens of fast cars running conventional type solid motor mounts. I am not saying that there are not advantages to motor plates or that solid mounts are the only way to go but there are proven in some pretty fast cars.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My old 393 was a stock windsor block and was similar to your combo and even spraying mine, I didnt have any problems. Seen people make way more power and not have any problems either. You should be fine.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys....Just wanted to say thanks for the replies........I was hoping that solid mounts would be fine. I was not looking forward to putting a plate in the car but would if you thought it was needed. I do not plan on spraying my set up because I am afraid it will push the limits of a early 70's block...I have heard of others runnning spray with stock blocks making more than the 625 fwhp that I have (and I would love to go a little faster) but I don't want to go faster at the expense of everything that I have collected over the last 2 years.......

Again....thanks guys for the help.......I know that I can always count on the Bullet.......

·
Registered
751 Posts
i ran solid mounts with my motor, no probs at around 1700 hp with a dart sbf with 100's of passes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts