Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
T/S 368E
33,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Trying to help a buddy make decision on final design of his new engine.
Has 2 box stock 9375's and we were wondering how much power they will feed, before you start leaving a bunch of power on the table!!!

Has not bought pistons, intake, cam and a few misc parts that would help determine ~HP.

Any thoughts, experiences are welcome!!!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do know for a fact that two of those carbs on a tunnel ram can make over 1200 Hp on a 598 BB Chevy'

JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I wouldn't use box carbs on a tunnel ram, but a I did a pair of QF based 1050's for a 588 that made 1240. I'm certain more is possible.

·
T/S 368E
33,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

9375's are tunnel ram already, that's why he bought them, so they better not need any work to run properly.
This is a several year project, that is getting real close to the end. Like I said, he has just about everything now.

We are just wondering how radical he could go with his new combo.
If the carbs are too small, he will just go pump gas, I was thinking he should go max compression, decent cam and go for 1100 + HP???
So I'm trying to get info before he orders some tiny pistons!!!!

I'll pass it on Joe, thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
J mark...What kind of RPM did you run that 588 to? How much TQ?
2.1 hp/cu very stout...2 circuit deal?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
9375's are tunnel ram already, that's why he bought them, so they better not need any work to run properly.
Good luck with that. If they were the original old style 9375 maybe, newer calibrations are not what they used to be. And every tunnel ram setup should be dialed in, final calibrations, on the car and on the track. What works on one may not work as well on another.

·
T/S 368E
33,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

All I meant was there is no way in hell he's sending them to be tricked out.
They will definitely be used as is, that's why I'm trying to get some real world info.
They are older HP's, probably 10+ years old he bought from a guy that threw a ton of dough into racing and quit after a few crash's, blow up's!!!
Been sitting in the boxes for years.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
No need for that, you will want to make some metering changes to make them work better. Idle jets will need to be threaded to make adjustments, put .026 main air bleeds in it, remove the intermediate air bleeds (middle ones) and leave them out. I'd start at .035 for an idle jet, .055 for the idle air bleeds (outer ones) I would also plug the middle emulsion bleeds. 90 square jets to start, jet as needed.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
JMark Can you post the link to the illustration or drawing you had showing and labeling the air bleeds? I thought it was a top view
Thanks...

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
No need for that, you will want to make some metering changes to make them work better. Idle jets will need to be threaded to make adjustments, put .026 main air bleeds in it, remove the intermediate air bleeds (middle ones) and leave them out. I'd start at .035 for an idle jet, .055 for the idle air bleeds (outer ones) I would also plug the middle emulsion bleeds. 90 square jets to start, jet as needed.
You probably need to get more sleep. :) The idle jets are in the tubes in the main well.

(Unless he has the HP blocks...? If the carbs are only 10 years old, they might be the HP version.).

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Yes if they are the older non HP, never has been established.

Standard 3 circuit bleed location on the left side.

·
T/S 368E
33,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Now that's the info he needs, and will be sending him your suggestions, thanks Mark.

They are definitely HP's like I said, probably 10+ years old,
I ran them on my S/G engine for a few pass's, but I never touched them.
I didn't want to change anything, and I had more then enough power as is.

I will try and get the age figured out.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes if they are the older non HP, never has been established.

Standard 3 circuit bleed location on the left side.

f
Thanks JMark...will help many,,,,Will the bleed configuration for the non wide body 2 circuit blocks, be the same as you illiustrated in the pic for the wide body blocks?

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
Thanks JMark...will help many,,,,Will the bleed configuration for the non wide body 2 circuit blocks, be the same as you illiustrated in the pic for the wide body blocks?
Look at both sides of the picture. Standard body on one side, wide body on the rother.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yeti ...I worded that incorrectly I wanted to include "BLP" after the words'' Non-wide body"... I was under the impression the blocks on the left were 3 circuit blocks...I was asking if there was a bleed confg. difference between BLP 2 circuit blocks and the BLP wide body 2 circuit blocks which are shown in the Pic.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Yes, the two circuit and BLP wide body blocks are the same, except the 2 circuit has no need for intermediate bleeds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts