Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im changing combo's from a single 101 to twin 88's and exspect to make around 2500hp. the car weight will be around 3000lbs. and i run a 33x10.5 tire. can a glide hold up if its done right . and what input shaft would you recommend. i have a 300m ringless shaft now. is there a better one out there. thanks for any input

·
Super Moderator
19,350 Posts
Although there are some that are having success with a glide ,they are some that are not. At that HP number reliability will be in question.
I have seen glides run reliably in turbo combinations with 106mm and twins at 3000 lbs in the 7.20- 7.30 range providing they don't get overheated and have frequent oil changes.
As far as input shafts, there are numerous designs , ringless,bushing sealed and ring style that have been great. 300m twists and the vasco style shafts break either way they are reduced to garbage and will fall into a similar category as aluminum rods, they have a cycle life and require maintenance before destruction.There are some new designs coming soon if alloys become available.There are some new superalloys being tested now.

Take care ,Hutch

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
The highest HP cars on the planet are backed by a Hutch trans. Also nice to know a Hutch trans is built by the owner himself..

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ray,

There are a few cars around my area including my own that have had success with the glides. Were not as heavy as you but we around 2500-2550lb. and run 6.60s-6.70s....(with 598s-632s on two stages) So far my weak link is the input shafts. We have tried several this past season with some luck though.(i broke one in the final 3 in TS at Milan,MI national in 2005, it was a 300m deal)
If you want to PM me i will tell you which ones I WOULDN'T purchase.....The one in my car now I purchased from Marco Abruzzi....this is a shaft by his own design that he is having made for him.(by a renowned trans. company I believe)

let me know if you want any more info......thanks

Steve

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
I run one of Hutch's glides and it holds up well. I need to change the fluid frequently but that's about it. I run it all season. I have a good cooler (oil/ice water not oil/air). I run a 106mm single turbo on a 3100lb Outlaw 10.5 car.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply's. i have a pro mod glide i ran last year and it worked fine. that was with a single turbo. now i'm going to have twin 88's . going from mid sevens to low sevens is quite a bit of a difference. everyone ive talked to that runs low sevens on a turbo car has had input breakage problems sooner or later. even sid neils trans. ,it really doesn't matter who built it , the input shaft will break. now i'm trying to reseach who makes the best input shaft, thats my only concern. or i'll just spend the money and get a lenco-bruno setup.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Parts !

I have always prided myself on being very honest w/all my customers.

The one thing that has always been a concern is the parts @ hand.

If one takes a close look @ w/is really going on out there,you will find that most all the trans parts out there have definite limitations & anyone that says that their parts are "unbreakable or indestructable" are only kidding themselves.I am very firmiliar w/all the top builders out there & the parts that are avalible to & from them.It has been my experience that R&D (not rob & duplicate) comes with a price & w/out it there will be no progress.I look forward to what new products get developed through this winter & into the spring.

One thing for sure is that I have been fortunate enough to have had several coversations w/Hutch & have been able to use some highly recomended products from him.This has enabled me to build a much higher quality product.

I think @ this point alot of us are in serch of the "unbreakable" glide,but unfortunatly for right now that does not exist.

·
from across the pond...
6,930 Posts
i agree...you gotta think what's the weak point in anything?...usually the smallest component,which in most transmissions is the input shaft....the glide input shaft especially as for a nano second between 1st and 2nd that shaft is stationary.High HP cars have to have a regular checking regime.I've been using a Australian super alloy shaft for 2 seasons without breakage.Now i'm going twin 88's we're going to use a Hutch super alloy shaft and gears.Not that the OZ shaft is not good for it,but because Hutch has proven that his input shaft and gears work behind the big HP turbos. 8)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Someone wrote "I need to change the fluid frequently " , My question would be how often would you guys recommend that fluid change in a PG, say in a hard running race season ?

Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
I run one of hutch's glides

We run low sevens with a twin turbo set up at 3000 pounds. With a good cooler that hutch built for me and regular fluid changes this thing has been amazing! I know there are others out there that are good, but nobody takes the time to understand your whole combo to make sure your doing it right like Hutch. To answer your question. Yes a glide will hold if built right. I can break one of my local trans guys in a single pass. I ran a full season with hutch's with no failure. Good luck, Randy Leavy

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
shark said:
Someone wrote "I need to change the fluid frequently " , My question would be how often would you guys recommend that fluid change in a PG, say in a hard running race season ?

Thanks
Depends on how hot you get the trans. I used to run the same trans fluid all season with my nitrous motor. The fluid looked and smelled new at the end of the year. My turbo motor heats the fluid up more. I change the fluid almost every race because it starts to smell like burnt ass!!! Hutch said if my tranny fluid stinks so bad that he pukes.......my bill goes up! :shock:

·
Super Moderator
19,350 Posts
Rleavy said:
We run low sevens with a twin turbo set up at 3000 pounds. With a good cooler that hutch built for me and regular fluid changes this thing has been amazing! I know there are others out there that are good, but nobody takes the time to understand your whole combo to make sure your doing it right like Hutch. To answer your question. Yes a glide will hold if built right. I can break one of my local trans guys in a single pass. I ran a full season with hutch's with no failure. Good luck, Randy Leavy

Randy the part you forgot was your attention to detail on the installation,adjustment and maintenance. Without that im certain there would have been problems.

Thanks for your reply, Hutch

·
Super Moderator
19,350 Posts
Dal Sangha said:
Are ther any disadvantages of running a ringless input shaft. I have been told that the tranny cooler will not work.
Dal
Dal, there is 2 types if "ringless" shafts. Some have a functioning cooler and some don't. We can get away without a cooler in some applications (nitrous cars) as they get on stall instantly and only for a second or so prior to launch. The heat generated is minimal.
In a turbo application where there is spool-up time ,I feel its almost impossible to race without a proper cooling system for the trans as you are on stall for a long period of time and fluid overheating can get to dangerous levels.

Hope this helps, Hutch

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hutch, Does your input shaft have provissions for tranny cooler. I have only broken 1 input shaft in 3 years, just curios if it happens again which one I should Buy. Any comments on JW input shaft? Also my tranny temps only get to around 140 degrees after a pass, but after sitting for a while at the top end of the track, temps do get to around 160 degrees. I use a B&M supercooler, just liquid to air. We always use a leaf blower on the converter between rounds. I measure tranny temps at oil pan, should I have sensor elsewhere. I also use nothing but Lucas semi-senthic fluid, they are one of my sponsors. I plan on keeping powerglide in car for quite some time.
Thanks Dal

·
Super Moderator
19,350 Posts
Dal ,yes my input shafts have cooler provisions and can be used with production diameter pump stator tubes. I believe the JW shaft is an oversize unit and must be used with an oversize ID tube. If you only broke 1 in 3 years of racing ,I would say you have a winner there.
Your trans temps seem to be under control with the combination you were running and checking the sump temperature is adequate. The leaf blower between rounds is also a great idea to control fluid temps.

Take care, Hutch

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
We've yet to break the glide in Chip H's twin GT47-80 car. I think we swapped it at 35 passes(7.08-7.25) just to take a look at it. They do have the monster input shafts, though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts